Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day of Labor

Last year, for Labor Day, we stayed in Park City, attended the Willie Nelson concert at Deer Valley, and consumed copious amounts of delicious buffalo mozzarella while dining downtown. This year, there was to be no reprise of last years events. We need to place our current home on the market, pronto. There are too many bulging closets, an ample amount of dust bunnies burrowing under sofas, love seats, and bookshelves, and an overzealous sea of sunflowers threatening to devour our backyard. So, labor on this labor day weekend we did.
Brad armed himself with a pair of large clippers, declared war, and defeated the finch-friendly-yellow-petaled warriors. He then built a small rock wall and stairway in our northeast corner.
I armed myself with garbage bags and dust cloths and took on the 3 treacherous basement bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is really our office, complete with an undiscovered storage room floor, which is home to numerous sewing supplies and photos galore.
At noon we disengaged from warfare in order to travel to Orem for lunch at Grandma and Grandpa Wright's home. We then resumed the day's duties and only rested for a labor day dinner picked from our own overgrown jungle of fragrance and pollen, known as 'the garden'.
Although we slept in our own beds, had little entertainment (besides the requisite car ride video They Might Be Giants ABC's ), and ate our own food, our labor day was lovely. And we have the photos to prove it.



The girls, probably watching something forbidden. Maybe that obnoxious, noisy, Sponge Bob. His square pants are not allowed to grace my television, my children need little tutoring in the whiny, loud behavior department.




Brad's rock wall.



Lunch.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Gotta love the bum picture.

It sounds like a good day! I should've been so productive!

Wendy said...

Me again. I just looked up the They Might Be Giants ABC's. Is that THE TMBG? Where do you find out about all of this fun music for kids? I love TMBG and the web site looked fun.

martha corinna said...

Yeah, it's the same band. I think I saw one of the songs on TV a long time ago.My children love the songs and the DVD. So does my husband.

Wendy said...

Kids and husband like them . . . do you?

I saw TMBG at the Rice Eccles stadium a long time ago on a 4th of July. They were so fun in person.

martha corinna said...

Yeah, I didn't like them before kids, but they are fun. The art in the video is amazing so, I'm on board.

Laurie said...

Martha - I can't stand the thought of you guys moving out of our ward!
And once again, you guys and your awsome yard....I really need to come take a peek to see it for myself.

Rochelleht said...

Love the bum pic!

I am also anti-Sponge Bob. I agree, they need no help to be naughty. In that same category, I lump Caillou on PBS. YEEUUCK!!

The Christensen Family said...

Hee hee... Love the bum photo... And I too share the same distaste for Sponge Bob. Cole calls him "Bom bom" and is wierdly entertained by him. I only allow it in case of emergency - those desperate days when nothing else seems to work. Why is he so loud and obnoxious?! The world would be a happier and quieter place without that annoying cartoon...
You were busy - I am sure that all looks amazing after all of your effort, but let's be honest -- I loved it all before!