Friday, September 14, 2007

This and That

I finally picked the living room rugs up from the dry cleaners. They've only been there over a month. They needed to be cleaned because Tequila (the dog) left 'gifts' all over them.



Many of you have been asking about our new home. It's slow going. The framing is taking an eternity. Here are some pictures of some of my favorite parts and some of my not so favorite parts. I'll explain.



They haven't yet put the roof on the porch. But I like the porch. You can't tell from this picture, but it is quite spacious and has an excellent view.



I love all the windows. I am a much happier person with natural light.



Brad thinks I'm silly for getting such a kick out of this, but it is one of my favorite things. This is my pantry. See that little door. That door leads to the garage. That is right where the back of my car will hit. Hooray for convenience! I get to unload my groceries into my pantry. No, I'm not lazy.



This is looking from the kitchen into the family room. This room is full of sunshine, and plenty of views of the hang gliders at point of the mountain.



This is my kitchen. I know I've already bored you with my window talk, but I love the 3 windows.



My favorite view, out of the office, of Utah Lake and the valley.




You can't see it here (I was too afraid to walk out there, I'm a sissy), but this is Brad's favorite view of Timpanogos from the master balcony.





So the above photo's feature the 'scary stuff'. My mom is FREAKING OUT about the bridge/overlook that connects the two sides of the upstairs (I'm a little nervous about it). We will add 6 inches to the railing (the railing in the photo is obviously temporary). So tell me what you think. Do you think we are crazy for having this bridge when we have small children? You have to keep in mind that my mom was a ER nurse FOREVER, so her perspective is tainted. You also have to keep in mind that I am an overanxious worrier and have a fear of heights and Brad isn't worried at all.

19 comments:

just jen said...

this is SO much more exciting to me than *possibly* moving to Angola...my dreams of a house of our own is many, many years away. your new home looks beautiful!

martha corinna said...

Jen, I think I would give up my dream home for an opportunity to live overseas (I would have to pick the place though). It is not a possibility for us. Maybe it is a case of wanting what you can't have, or what is out of your reach.
Your soon to be life sounds so romantic and exciting.

Laurie said...

Wow Martha it's a little small - don't you think you need some more space? =)
I connot wait to see it all put together!! And I think you are a GENIUS for your pantry door!

Wendy said...

Exciting exciting! I hope it all comes together like you want!

Celia Fae said...

In California that house would set you back 2 million bones. Let's swap.

Rochelleht said...

I have always had one of those. If anyone's kids would fall, it would be mine. Never had a problem.

D-dawg said...

I grew up in a home with a railing/balcony and we sometimes jumped off of it when we were older but no one ever got hurt. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your new home looks awesome!

Kelie said...

What an amazing idea to have that little door in your pantry...LOVE the house, can't wait to see more pics as it gets closer!

martha corinna said...

For those of you who live by me, I need to give credit where credit is due. I didn't think of that pantry door thing on my own. I borrowed the idea from Shelly Sharpe, she has the exact same door. She lent me her house plans when I went to see the architect so that I could borrow a few ideas from her.

em kawasaki said...

I think it looks great Martha, There is a house for sale behind Natalie that I am trying to talk Mark into looking at.
You and Brad sound like Mark and I only i am the one who fails to see the danger and Mark can spot 10 safety violations in 10 seconds. I think the bridge will be fine. Children are crazy but they generally seem to have some sort of self-preservation instincts don't they?

martha corinna said...

You sound like Brad Emily. It's a good thing you and Brad didn't marry and Mark and I didn't marry. You and Brad would have kids running wild and Mark and I would have some extremely uptight kids.

martha corinna said...

I think I know the house you are speaking of. It's the light green one with the wrap around porch. I like that one. Buy it, But it! I would be in 7th heaven if you guys lived right by us! Brad would too. On second thought, Brad and Mark would be playing drums and guitars all night in Brad's 'music room', maybe not such a good idea. But I don't care. BUY IT!!!!
There is another REALLY cool one down the road from us. The inside is really cool. I'll have to point it out.

em kawasaki said...

Let's get together with the men folk and talk houses. Maybe we could get babysitters and go out, actually treat ourselves to a dinner someone else has made.
Just think about it. I know it would be breaking our only once a year rule but I'm willing to throw caution to the wind if you guys are.

martha corinna said...

All right emily, let's get CRAZY!

Brooke said...

we have one and my kids are 6, 3, & 1, and it has never been a problem.

of course, that may be because they just always want to be by me (what can i say, i'm cool like that i guess), but they're never upstairs by themselves anyway.

i'm so excited for you! the pantry + garage door = fabulous idea!

Sheri King said...

Hi Martha! I was realxing during baby's naptime and decided to see what houses were for sale in Traverse Mountain. Which led me to think about you.. So I googled Martha + Norah + Lehi hoping for a blog. It was good to vicariously catch up on your life! Norah looks so different. We drove by our old house in May and couldn't believe the neighborhood was all done. Are you building your new house in Traverse still? Well we have a blog, but I just started it. It is: we4kingsofpeoria.blogspot.com

I too have a baby boy, Austin, born on Nov. 21, 2006. If we are ever in Utah I would love to stop by and say hi.

-Sheri King

The Christensen Family said...

M ~ Your house is booming right along! You really are going to be such a fountain of info for me when I really get down and dirty in the process. Supposed to dig our hole the end of the month or first few weeks of October... Long process - I know. Your home looks beautiful - can't wait to see it in person! Loves...

becky said...

love the house and you better invite me over to see it when it's done...house warming party???

blogger said...

Martha- there is no doubt, you are gonna have the most amazing house when its finished! Im glad you liked the peasoup!

Amelia, A Beautiful Living