Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sabbath

The 'day of rest' is anything but. Our 7th day (which is really the 1st), is a mad dash from the first light of day until the last goodnight is spoken.
First, there is a full, healthy breakfast feast. It usually includes eggs, toast, oatmeal, fruit, and a truck load of honey (and then I get to clean all of this up).



After I've cleaned the kitchen and moped the floor (I know that in Old Testament times I would be stoned because I've taken way too many steps but I have OCD, the floor has to be moped so I can go to church and feel clean), I then put Abram down for a morning nap. I hop in the shower, shave my alabaster legs, and quickly enjoy a few moments of alone time accompanied by the vibration of base coming from the basement (the girls are preparing for church by watching Jack's big music show).



I then sprint to the basement and plead with my husband to help put away the clothes I folded the evening before.
Now it is time to dress the girls.


Lulu insists this is what she is wearing to church. She says, "piddy des mom!".


Norah haughtily says she intends to wear her new pink cowboy boots. I start to say no. I ponder the boots for a moment. Yes, she does look like the rebel preacher's daughter from Footloose with those loud boots, and yes, my fellow church goers will think I am some kind of trendy diva who makes my daughter wear obnoxiously loud footwear to church, but it's not worth a fight, besides I'm always preaching the importance of letting my children choose (hypocrite).



Lulu tares up a catalog while I finish getting everyone ready, put on some make-up, find the crayons, grab some books and treats, and once again, not fix my hair.


A fight breaks out as I push the children out the door and toward the car.


As we pose for a picture, Norah adjusts her panties.

We then rush into sacrament meeting during the opening hymn. More fighting ensues, Abram chokes on the sacrament water cup, I spend Sunday school in the mother's lounge, and can't keep my thoughts to myself in Relief Society.
We load ourselves into the freaking hot car and rush home to shove as much food as we can into our mouths in 10 min. We put Abram and Lulu down for a nap and then Brad and I try to actually spend some time together while Norah interjects every 2 seconds.



Lulu wakes from her nap signaling departure time for Orem.


I load the kids into the car where another fight ensues accompanied by yelling and tears.


Brad is always giddy about taking the trip to Orem.


At my parent's home in Orem, there is ALWAYS some sort of debate. Sunday's debate was about whether or not my twin brother's should really exclude girls who wear make-up from their dating pool. I asked the twins, whose names are Peter and Tim, "do you consider your sisters to be undateable (all 3 of us wear make-up)?". There was a long pause after the asking of this question.


My sister in-law, Sarah, considers herself to be pro makeup.

The juris doctorates looking smug.



King of the debate, my father, and more piles of folded laundry (seems the piles of laundry are hereditary).
This is usually where we make a quick exit and sprint to Brad's mom's home around the corner. She wasn't home this Sunday so it was an early night.


We then plop the kids in the tub, kiss and tuck them in bed, and ponder the miracle of our family making it though another sabbath day.
As I write this I get a call. McKay Christensen (bishopric) asks me to speak on Sunday right before the stake president speaks, so awesome. Next Sunday is going to be a blast. Any ideas on the law of the harvest?

14 comments:

Laurie said...

So I'm not the only one who thinks the idea of the 'day of rest' is comical? A day in the life huh?

Celia Fae said...

Oh man. Where is your nap in all of this? The speaking in church sounds wonderful. Just think, you get to sit on the stand ALL BY YOURSELF. And get a new outfit.

Rochelleht said...

You must have 1:00 church.

martha corinna said...

No, it's 11. 1pm sucks. I'm sure that's what's next on the bill.

Kelie said...

What a day! I can definitely relate to a crazy sunday morning. And good luck on the 'law of harvest' ?!? sorry, i'm no help!

just jen said...

my favorite part is the "smug juris doctorates" so funny!

Celia Fae said...

Okay, so I'll change giant. What would you like it to be? Name a kid Abram? Just "build my own house" because that in itself is pretty cool. And yes, people do build palatial spreads by temples. We just don't have as many of them. I guess if your house is by the temple then you won't need your car during the second coming.

King Family said...

Your parents live by each other too?!?! You think it is convenient, but its not. My Sundays are so similar I have pretty much given up on "naps", or sleeping for that matter.

Wendy said...

Thinking of Sunday as "The Lord's Day" has helped me not resent the unrestful nature of it all. :) What busy Sundays you have, my dear.

sarahlouise said...

Good luck! I despise public speaking, or anything public for that matter but you'll do great Martha. You have such a way with words :)

mindy said...

ooh.. sounds like you're related to our family on Sundays:) I'm glad she won out with the pink boots, (Jordan wasn't so lucky with the fireman hat.)

The Christensen Family said...

You always make me giggle -- your day mirrors my own but I'm missing a husband around here nowadays... It gets even more fun running wild solo. And talk to me later about entertaining two small children in a pew by yourself for and entire hour! 60 minutes never felt so long! FUN! I am sorry that it had to be my husband to call and ask you... It is unfortunate we think so much of you and that we are tight enough that I have your cell...;) You will be WONDERFUL! Like always... Sorry haven't called you back yet - was dying and now trying to get the house back to normal! Talk soon... Love you!

martha corinna said...

Steph, I feel for you. I hate it when I have the 3 kids all to myself at church too (at least it's not every Sunday).
When I was a kid back in Minnesota, my dad was the branch pres. bishop-I don't know technically what he was. Anyway, my mom would make us sit in the front row. There were 8 children, the youngest were (are) twins. One Sunday the twins (boys) broke the wooden hymnal holder off the back of the pew and ran up to the podium and handed it to my father. Hope Cole never does that to you. I think my father was shortly thereafter impeached :)

Paige said...

Oh yeah, that girl is adorable just like Arial in Footloose. Hope you drove by the Lehi Roller Mills and let her do a little dance.

I need more info on the twins who won't date girls with make-up. All the girls who don't wear make-up are dating each other!