Saturday, September 8, 2007

Explanation for new blog description

Our Ozzy quotation is taken out of context, at least out of the context of what his 'crazy train' is about.
When Brad and I were dating, we took a summer road trip in order to hit many destinations. We first drove to Oklahoma to visit his friend, Mike Moe, and his family. On our way up to Michigan to spend time at my familie's cottage, we decided to stop at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, home to the world's largest roller coaster amusement park. In theory, giant roller coasters sounded like a good time. While waiting in some of the long lines contemplating the ride, I began to have second thoughts. I have a slight fear of heights, and death.
In the line for the largest wooden roller coaster in the world (appropriately named The Mean Streak) , we noticed a man waiting in line a number of people up. He attracted our attention because he looked just like Ozzy Osbourne, round sunglasses and all. As our turn drew closer, my anxiety spun out of control. Just then, 'Ozzy' boarded the roller coaster car. As the car started down the track, someone in line behind us, sang loudly, in a perfect Ozzy impersonation, "We're going off the rails on a crazy train". Everyone laughed, including me. It lightened the mood, and soothed my fears and anxiety as I thought, "we're all in this together, it's not so serious". I got on the roller coaster and screamed my head off, but am glad I did it.
Sometimes, I take my roll as mom too seriously. Sometimes I become too anxious about things. Sometimes, I feel like I am going crazy. For certain, my family is on a crazy train. Sometimes we travel through breathtaking valleys and up mountains. Sometimes we lose our way only to find we've landed at the zoo in the Orangutan cage. I have to be OK with derailing once in a while.
Besides, crazy is the best.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I like this, Martha. Fun story, too. Being okay with derailing...I think I'm getting better at that.

I'm glad you went on the ride, too. I am a huge roller coaster fan. Give me more steep hills and loops. DH won't go to Lagoon, so I'm going to have to find someone to go with me next summer.

*Tanyetta* said...

stopping to say hello. saw your comment on denae's blog!

Laurie said...

I love your point of view - very realistic. My life is a 'crazy train' too!

em kawasaki said...

Well it may be a crazy train but at least it is a beautifully decorated crazy train and soon you will have a new one! That is very exciting.

Tate Family said...

Love that story...can't wait to show my Brad...good one Martha

Tate Family said...

My biggest regret is seriously...not inviting your girls...I'm really sorry I'm soo dang clueless...and needed the cell number again. Soo on the ball, arent you?!
Love you!