Monday, October 1, 2007

I Am a Good Wife

Brad invited Kayle and Angie (Kayle is Brad's friend from high school) over for dinner yesterday. We haven't seen them in quite a while and they are moving to St. George, so dinner at our home seemed appropriate.
We returned home from church at about 2:30p.m. We then ate some lunch, put the kids down for a nap, and then I started cleaning and cooking like a mad woman. What is it with being the hostess that causes so much stress? Anyway, after about 2 hrs of preparing Brad's favorite dishes (since they are his friends, I let him pick the meals), and after both Brad and I had cleaned most of the house (and shut some doors), we retired to the deck to wait for our guests. They were anticipated at 5p.m. At 5:30, Brad called Kayle's cell phone, no answer. At six, I asked him to call again, just to make sure, because, really, it was time to feed our kids. With a second no answer, 2 adults, a 4 year old, an almost 3 year old, and a 10 month old were left to consume this...




Abram was confused by all the choices, textures, and tastes.




After we stuffed ourselves with as much food as possible, we headed over to the park. On the way there Brad received a phone call from Kayle. Kayle asked Brad if he had listened to his voice mail. Sure enough, upon listening to his messages, Brad found one from Kayle saying they had decided to move today so they wouldn't be able to make the dinner engagement. Brad said, "I'm sorry Martha". Since it was the Sabbath, I said, "it's OK".

At least my kitchen stayed relatively clean.

18 comments:

Wendy said...

You ARE a good wife. Doesn't it feel good to find ourselves so able to be patient in situations like this? Good for you!

Wendy said...

p.s. Can I come eat at your house? :) I'm kidding, but the foods look fabulous. Wow.

martha corinna said...

Yes, we should have called you, we had more then enough food. We should have a blogger dinner sometime.

Cottonia said...

Oh, you are a good wife! and a good daughter...especially when you post these interesting narratives..rather than which knob will look best on your cabinets....your loving father.
(Just had to live up to your blog title)

Paige said...

Oh, I would be ticked. You are kind and patient. Those people missed something great!

martha corinna said...

I usually would be VERY ticked, but something must have sunk in at church b/c I was surprisingly at peace with the whole situation.

Sheri King said...

Sometimes I ask people over just so I will have the motivation to clean up. Just think how great the house looked for about 5 minutes!

just jen said...

that food looks delicious...what was it?

em kawasaki said...

Once we drove all the way down to Provo, and then all the way up the canyon and sat in our car for half hour waiting for guest to arrive to Mark's brother's birthday party. Well, we could have waited a week because that was how early we were for the party. MARK!!!!

em kawasaki said...

Is Thursday night alright for you guys? Normally I don't request that my guests bring anything when they come over for dinner but your cooking is too good to pass up. Is there anything you would like to bring?

Nathan said...

I would have definitely helped eat that food.....YUM!
love and miss you
N

Celia Fae said...

I'm with you. I'd be a tad bit happy when they didn't show and I didn't have to put on my party face. And all of those delicious leftovers...

martha corinna said...

jen-I made caprice salad, roasted vegetables with pasta, pine nuts and chicken, and a mezedakia platter with pork loin and chicken. If you would like the recipes, just email me and I'll send them to you.

Laurie said...

Honey any time you have too much food, feel free to call the Wimmers. Their mom doesn't cook and they're usually hungry.
You are fabulous! (as always)

Kelie said...

you bet your a good wife! dinner looked amazing!

Tate Family said...

Important question, did Brad help at all? Got your message too late to call you back, I'll call you tomorrow...But call me if I forget..You know I have three distractors as well

Wendy said...

I like the idea of a blogger dinner or lunch!

Rochelleht said...

Well, aren't you the little gourmet? Very impressive. Don't you love it when you actually don't get mad at the dh when it is totally justified? I always feel good about myself when I am nice like that. It doesn't happen very often, so when it does, baby watch out!

But as long as I have the bully pulpit, it drives me CRAZY when men don't check their messages!!!