Thursday, October 11, 2007

6 Things (for laurie w. and anyone else who may be interested)

I like to include photos in my posts, because, hey, I like to read posts which include photos. So I desperately tried to scrounge up interesting photos to accompany my not so interesting 6 things.

1. My high school job was as an assistant librarian at the local (private) library. I love books and boy do I know how to shelve a book (sorry, no photo for this one).


2. I attended Ricks college my freshman year. The above photo includes my very first roommates ever, except for the guy at the end. Number 2 leads me to number 3...


3. At Ricks, I met my best friend, Erica (Erica is the one on the end on the left).
My husband and I attended the same neighborhood ward (church congregation) before and right after I served a mission. We were friends but we really didn't know each other well. Previous to serving a mission, I had been on some dates with my husband's friend in the ward named Kirk. When I returned from my mission, Kirk and I went on a few dates again. Kirk and I tried to set Brad (my husband) up with Erica so we could double. They never ended up dating, but they became good friends as Erica frequented Brad's place of business(which provided a place for bands to play on 9th east in Provo), so she could see her now husband play in his band. I never did set foot in Brad's Soul Kitchen (his band venue), for which I feel guilty for to this day.



4. This one also has to do with my husband. Brad and I went on a bike ride right before I entered the MTC. I got to know him a little and he told me that his father had served a mission in the area that I was going to serve in.
A few months later I reach the mission field and am shipped off to be a companion to my trainer, Sister Amy Overton (who is in the photo above). As she and I become acquainted, I learn her father served in the area as well. I tell her that I know someone whose father had served there. She asks who, and I tell her that it is Brad Griffiths. She then tells me that she knows Brad's family really well because her father and his father were companions while serving a mission. In fact, later on in my mission I got a tape and recorder from Brad, the Kirk above, and Brad's brother. While Brad's brother (Wade) and Kirk were talking on the tape at some golf tournament, they ran into Amy Overton, who also talked on my tape. Small world and weird stuff.


5. I love the Old Mission Peninsula. I was born there and I think of it as home. I spent many summers as a youth, at my familie's cottage in Old Mission. Here I am pictured with my cousins, Jessie and Johanna. I would love to spend every summer there with my children so they could have the same experience I had. I don't know if that is possible. Michigan is far away and Brad works here. Maybe someday Griffiths and Turner will be a 9 months out of the year job.


6. In junior high and high school I took trying to look sexy for photo booth pictures very seriously, as is evidenced by the foxy photos above. Kissing lips and monster eyebrows were all the rage in my '80's life.

Ok, that's all I have.

15 comments:

just jen said...

you still are sexy...you really know how to work the camera! no, i am not coming on to you...i just want you to teach me some moves, i take terrible pictures. i am much cuter in real life.

martha corinna said...

I remember you being beautiful. I admit, I am selective with the photos I put up. My vanity won't let me post the one's where I look like a freak. Only about 1 in 10 of mine are half way decent. So really, I have no moves.

Laurie said...

Okay that's so much better with the pictures. I'm going to do something like that next time. It is freakish how well you work the camera....

Wendy said...

Those were fun!

Rochelleht said...

How fun was that! What a cute sister missionary you were!

When were you at Ricks? I was there from 1990-1992. I lived in Dorm 1 the first 1 1/2 years and the last semester was at Greenbriar. I worked as the cashier for Grandma's Kitchen.

Just in case you were there when I was there... ;-)

martha corinna said...

I was there from 91-91, I lived at the cottages. Greenbrier was behind the cottages wasn't it.
My friend Erica that I talked about lived in dorm 1, her 1st semester. Her maiden name was Erica Deskins. Anyway, I frequented the galleria almost every weekend, and I ended up getting called into the deans office b/c of this (curfew violation). Did you ever go dancing?
I'm sure our paths crossed, I knew there was a reason I was attracted to your blog!

martha corinna said...

I meant 91-92.

Celia Fae said...

Funny, just the other day you had referred to how you are an "older" mom, which I really don't understand since I am "older" than you as I have just learned from your post and comments.

I love the college photos. What legs!

Brigitta said...

Came over to your blog through Celia's blog and was reading it and saw the picture of Amy Overton. I went to High school in good old Provo with Amy. Small world!!!

martha corinna said...

Celia, you have to remember my oldest is 4, and I live in UTAH FREAKING VALLEY. 35 is very old in my neck of the woods to have your oldest be 4 and to be considering having more, you know what I mean? How old are you? You do not look older then me.

Brigitta, I loved Amy. She was an awesome missionary and a good friend. Her family is so kind. So did you go to Timpview?

Celia Fae said...

Honey, my mom was popping them out until she was forty three. We're all pretty fond of the last ones. You have a few more good years in you yet! Don't let Happy Valley get you down.

I will admit though that when they wrote Advanced Maternal Age on my charts last pregnancy I was startled. 37 in two days.

martha corinna said...

Yeah, my dad was born to a 43 year old mom. But all 3 of my pregnancies and 2 of my deliveries were pretty traumatic, I'm not sure that it's going to get any better with age, you know.

Nathan said...

Martha...
GREAT pictures....
Sorry I haven't posted or commentedd as much--I'm just not on a computer as often as before!
I love and miss you! I'll try to call you this week! Give the kids hugs for me.

The Christensen Family said...

no fair... you are way more interesting than me. I just have nothing exciting to share. Prolly why I spend more time reading your blog than posting on my own. I am lucky to know you and live vicariously through you... :)

martha corinna said...

Nate-I'm glad to know you are alive, I miss you too.

Steph-whatever. you are a jet setter, your life is so much more exciting then mine.