Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Fire Post




I fear this will be anticlimactic because of the build up from yesterday's post. It's really not all that exciting or interesting, just a little out of the ordinary.
First, I think I need to provide you with a little bit of background.
I was raised in an economically depressed small (when I say small, I mean small) town in Minnesota. There is no drama like the drama in a very poor, small town. I've always hated the term 'white trash' because I feel it demeans the type of people I grew up with and loved. But, so that we are all on the same page, this is the term that I will have to apply.
My parents are not 'trashy', they are educated and not from the area I was raised in. There was no drama in my home (outside of the normal drama of 8 children), yet I was always surrounded by it on a regular basis. This drama could seriously rival the drama of that incredibly ridiculous and annoying soap opera Passions.
For some reason, I've always felt attracted to the drama that surrounded me in Crosby. I don't like drama in my own life, and I try to avoid creating it, but the saying, "you can take the girl out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl", may apply here.
As a single girl, there was no lack of drama, everyday is a soap opera. After I was married, my husband and I moved to Holladay and the cal-de-sac we lived in was drama packed (my kind of entertainment). We then moved to Traverse Mountain and the drama came to a screeching halt. I love the people of Traverse Mountain, they are good, kind, generous, and gracious. Unfortunately, they have so much good karma going on, they attract no drama. I've found myself asking, "where's the crazy neighbor?". There rarely is much 'drama' excitement here. Although, there was the Sunday evening a few summers ago when as we drove up to our home we found our neighbor being thrown over the hood of the police car and handcuffed. And how could I forget the micro burst that hit us 4 days after we moved in and blew in our garage doors and all of the windows in Brad's xtera. It also emptied a porta-pot onto the next door neighbors lawn. See, not very exciting.
So, last week, after I put my kids down for a nap, I went into the office to get some things done. I was wrapped up in what I was doing when all of a sudden I heard sirens. Upon noticing the high pitched sound of the sirens, I noticed the smell of smoke. I walked out into my family room and it was filled with smoke. The fire alarm had not gone off because we removed it the other day because it wouldn't shut-up. I ran up the stairs and saw a fire truck, police car, and an ambulance pull up in front of my house. I also noticed half of my neighborhood standing in the street in front of my home. All I could think was, "shoot, my house is on fire and I didn't even notice, I'm a bad mom". A police man knocked on my door and asked me if I was the one who made the call. I told him I hadn't because I didn't even know what was going on. He pulled me outside to show me what had happened. This is when I noticed that all the L-town fireman, running down the city easement, had some wickedly awesome mustaches.






Apparently, the extraordinarily bright construction workers who were doing I-don't-know-what with the field behind my house tried to cut the chain link fence that runs parallel with my wrought iron fence. The fence cutting created a spark which set all the sage brush and my hill of sunflowers on fire.
As I watched the hysteria of the men in yellow and the men who ignited my hill, I was momentarily entertained by the tiny bit of excitement provided for me by Lehi's finest. Hey, I'll take drama where I can get it. Plus, I've always had a thing for police officers and firemen (sorry dad), and both visited my house all in one day. I guess Travers Mountain isn't that dull, is it?

I will have to do my six things tom. Laurie, I have some vacuuming to do.

Nate, where are you, are there no phones or computers in Moscow?

13 comments:

just jen said...

i thought i was the only one who wanted drama...i sometimes long for torrential downpours or maybe a very small earthquake(i mean really small...just a few large shakes). my husband makes fun of me for being disappointed when the tropical storm does not come our way...

Leslee said...

Where was I in all the action? I didn't even hear the sirens! I had no idea you grew up in a small town - I never would've guessed!

em kawasaki said...

You want drama? Just hang out with me and my three sisters for a week and chances are you will find drama. Mark is always accusing us of inciting riots when we are together. But at least we have a good time doing it.

Rochelleht said...

WOW! Nothing like a 911 call to get your attention! So sorry about the sunflowers. But on the bright side, it provide me with a very entertaining couple of minutes, so thanks for that!

Kelie said...

so glad it wasn't your kids or house! drama can be exciting every once in awhile...although i feel like i live in it every day with my girls!!!

Celia Fae said...

Ooh, fire. Excellent picture work there, oh blogger. Did anyone think you were crazy?

Maybe you could dress your husband up as a policeman for Halloween. Make sure he gets the boots. Those things are hot.

Laurie said...

I love other people's drama. I have way too much personal drama to even consider it exciting or entertaining.
Glad that it was just a brush fire - I was scared when you said the family room was filled with smoke. That's got to make for a little anxiety....

mindy said...

Man.. where was I when this was happening? Your post had me laughing pretty loud (especially when you told us your response to thinking your living room was on fire!) Thanks for the entertainment!

King Family said...

Crazy. I also lived in a small town for awhile and understand the need. It is funny now because I still havn't forgotten people there and love to hear about new developments.

Wendy said...

I love your description of drama. I don't love drama either, but wasn't single-life drama fun? How many different guys were you in love with at the same time? Too many for me to count--fun while it lasted, but this is better!

Laurie said...

Okay I just can't stop thinking about how funny this actually is. You know those 'you know you're a redneck when...' jokes? Well, you know you're a blogger when your first reaction to emergency vehicles is to grab your camera so you can post about it!

martha corinna said...

Yeah Laurie, I am a true blogger (b/c I do look for the photo in everything) and maybe a little redneck as well.

Crystal said...

Wow that is definetly exciting! I didn't even hear the trucks( how bad is that!!!)...Thankfully your house is okay! What would we do without our fire fighters and more importantly who would we drool over!!!!