Monday, October 15, 2007

Creeper

My sister, Sarah, called me at the beginning of last week to inform me of the the "Haunted Canyon" ride on the Heber Creeper. She said the whole family (which includes Sarah, her husband Blake and son Owen, my parents, Andy and his wife Sarah, maybe Peter and Tim, but certainly not pimp daddy Bob) would be going on Friday and for me to plan on it. As I got off the phone, I thought, "whatever", for a few different reasons. First, Sarah lives in Ogden and rarely participates in family activities. And second, we rarely have family activities.
But Thursday came with a phone call from my mother who said she was at Smiths and wanted to know if we would like her to pick up our tickets. Of course I said yes (I'm not a party pooper) and Vivian park and the Heber Valley railroad were added to the docket for Friday night.


The night started at my mom's home for dinner. My parents' next door neighbors have often won the 'Orem beautification award' for their Halloween decorations. Their yard also provides my children with endless hours of entertainment and nightmares.


Dinner conversation at my parents house always seems to focus on the dating practices of my twin brothers, Peter and Tim. Tim informed us that he wasn't able to join us on the railroad because he had a date. He also informed us that the next night he was going on another date with his date's roommate. Everyone nodded their heads in agreement that dating 2 roommates means trouble. Tim has so much to learn.


My brother Bobby wanted me to make sure to post a picture of the pimp mustache he has grown. I guarantee that this mustache is not getting Bobby any dates with two roommates.

So up the canyon we headed and into Vivian park we walked.



We feared that Brad would miss the train. But we were so wrong. The train was delayed because of technical difficulties, so we waited and waited.

While waiting, a heckler came through the line to tease the children.

Norah wasn't having any of it. I wonder where her non-compliance comes from.

Finally we were able to board the train. As we found our seats, scary, foreboding noises filled the train cars.

This is my favorite photo. The trepidation in Norah and Abram's faces is classic.


For those of you who have not ridden the haunted canyon railroad, there are stories told as your make your way up the canyon. These stories are about ghosts that inhabit the railroads path. With each story, an apparition appears on the banks of the Provo River or in your car window. Although it was all very amateur, it was a little creepy for me and I have to assume, very frightening for my children.


As you make your way back down the canyon, the ghouls board the train and walk down the aisles. Lulu in the photo above was clearly afraid of the werewolf man.
The canyon ride was entertaining and I am glad Sarah corralled us all in for the night.
Now, if I can get a few costumes sewed, we will be all set for Halloween.

17 comments:

Nathan said...

Ahhh! I miss everyone sooo much! I wish I was there... I love Bobby'd moustache....that's about as classic as it gets!
Thanks for posting Martha, its really good to have news, to see pics and to have you tell the story as only you, a true Wright, can.
Love you...
PS
my blog wasn't finished when you posted your comment. There are more pics AND stories up now. Love you!

martha corinna said...

Thanks Nate. I love you too. I wish you were here. You know, you (and documenting our families life) are a big reason I blog.

Rochelleht said...

Ugh, Martha! I am so behind on costumes this year. I'm usually so good. I don't know what my problem is.

I hope you guys had a great time. Loved the pics. My kids would have died of fright. Also, Ethan won't do trains. Ah well.

Leslee said...

Sounds like fun! I would consider it if I wasn't such a baby. Our nephew has the pimp mustache, too. What is with that? I call him "Uncle Rico."

Tate Family said...

How fun...yes, did the creeber last year for Christmas...I'm done for a while...mighty slow...Definately fits the name ehe?

Kelie said...

What a fun night! I've always said we were going to go...never happened and now I don't live close enough. I loved the expressions on the kids faces too! priceless!

Kate Benson said...

That photo of Abram is classic, I laughed out loud. Bobby kind of looks like a young Paul Simon with that stache.

Celia Fae said...

I didn't know your brother used to work at Village Inn! I loved the unposed photos of daily life. Your parents have such interesting artwork. Tell me about the whale in the dining room.

Wendy said...

That sounds so fun!

I have a sister named Sarah and a brother named Tim--did you tell me that you did too already?

Lindz said...

so scary! i will never go on that train! good job on getting nate to blog.

just jen said...

martha, that comment above is from me...not my sister. we are sharing a computer while she is here and i forgot to log her out!

martha corinna said...

Oh well, I just left a comment on her blog. You will have to tell her who I am.
I tried to leave you a comment last night but blogger wouldn't let me, I'll have to try again.

D-dawg said...

ok my kids would have freaked out on a train ride like that! It sounds like fun to me though. I had to laugh over your brother dating 2 roommates... that is just so wrong but only girls know that!

em kawasaki said...

I don't know why but no matter how often I check your blog I am usually around the fifteenth person to make a comment. Your blog is very popular, I know it is one of my favorites. I love your stories and I really love your photography. We still need to do dinner. The blond hair is on it's way out so if you want to see it you only have another couple weeks.

martha corinna said...

Rochelle-I'm behind too. It's always down to the wire for me with the costumes. Last year I was sewing the characters from Wizard of Oz for my family on Halloween day. My youngest daughter wouldn't even wear the flying monkey costume I made her and I was the lion (I was 9 months pregnant so it was fitting) and after all the trouble and breathing bits of fur, I was too hot to wear the whole thing.
leslee-I don't understand the mustache. It's so not kissable.
kelly-the name is very fitting.
kelie-if you ever want to go when you're up here we will go again, the kids loved it.
katie-don't tell Bobby that. He would think he was cool and that would prolong the life of the mustache.
celia-the whale is jonah and the whale. It is an etching. They also have a raccoon. They came from my dad's brother's friends ex-wife. She etched them. My grandfather has a number of beautiful etchings which I hope will be mine someday. This is wishful thinking I'm sure, but I love etchings, they are so interesting.
wendy-I'm not sure if we've already talked about it but when you have a family of 8 with all biblical or saints names you are bound to find many others with the same names. My mom was Catholic before becoming Mormon and I think the names are no coincidence.
denae-I once dated 2 roommates my freshman year, and I got caught. I knew it was wrong but hey, I was 19. My brother is 22, it's time to wise up. Although his dating 2 roommates isn't chalked up to being a playboy, it is seriously because he is naive.
emily-I want to see the blond hair so you name the day, we will be there.

The Christensen Family said...

Martha -- I am loving your pictures! I would love to spend a day in your life. Your family seems so darling and SO entertaining. I find myself wanting twin brothers all the time after reading about yours. My fave photo by far is the one of Norah and Abram's faces. We giggled for a long time :) I want to check into the Heber Creeper... Would you say it is worth all the effort?
ps... McKay says 'thank you' for the 5 bags of food for the food drive. Of course I am now feeling a little sheepish about my meager donation... Good for you!

Seth said...

I can't help it-are you sure your parents neighbors didn't win the "boo-tification award"? hahaha...the creeper looks fun, but I think my kids would freak out.