Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Oh Daddy!




Happy Birthday Dad!
There are a number of stories I could tell to illustrate my father's personality. I only have time for one...so here it goes.

I grew up thinking my father knew everything, he was a teacher and my dad, so it follows that he knows everything, right? My parents grew up in Saginaw, Michigan. We traveled from Minnesota to Michigan every summer to spend time at the cottage in Old Mission. Often we would also visit Saginaw. One summer, as we were approaching Saginaw on our luxurious, car-packed drive, my father asked "Do you know where Saginaw got it's name?". "Gee, I don't know dad, why don't you tell me." Actually I was a little girl and was dying to know where Saginaw got it's name. My dad said, "From the Indian chief Wanigas. They spelled it backwards". How interesting, I thought. Fast forward to the coming school year. I am in 5th grade, my teacher is Mr. Solsten. He's cool. We are talking about the different states surrounding the Great Lakes. We talk about Michigan. I raise my hand, and yes, tell the class that Saginaw Michigan's name came from Chief Wanigas. I'm sure Mr. Solsten was entertained. I later find out it was all a lie, my dad lied to me and made me a liar. Oh daddy. The list could go on.

But I love you dad, you and your stories, fables, whatever.
You are the best dad, my one and only dad, contrary to what Brad says.







People often ask where I get my big eyes, gee, I don't know.



Nate's home birth.



Most of the children in this photo are not my father's. They are friends from Minnesota, Nate and I are his only children in the picture. I included it b/c I love the yellow turtle neck.

Happy Birthday Dad!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

A couple of morning bloggers, busy at work today.

I love the lie your dad told you. My husband's dad is like that. He convinced a nephew that the skin on puddings and cocoa is carcinogenic. Quite a site to see him avoid it, I heard.

What a fun tribute. Happy Birthday, Martha's Dad!

Nathan said...

Oh Dad! We all love you and wish you a Happy Birthday!

I have another story/lie my Dad told me that I believed for a long time---

Dad was always good with stories and equally good at telling them to us children. He read to us regularly in the evenings for several years. I know we got through most of the Chronicles of Narnia and alot of other good young adult fiction.

He also made up stories about the places we lived and visited...

The one I remember best and really loved was a chilling tale he'd tell us while watching the sun go down over Serpent Lake back in Crosby, Minnesota. Besides being scary, this story was a clever explanation of how the lake got its name.

(the town we grew up in Northern Minnesota,Crosby, was one of several small towns on the shores of Serpent Lake.)

Now that I'm thinking back on it, it had great characterizations and tension, really good twists and turns and was structurally quite sound...and the eerie ending made me scared of the water for a long time.

Maybe we can get Dad to write it down and post it....

I, however, will always prefer it as it was told to us by Dad as we sat around him on a blanket, down by the lake, with the late Minnesota summer sun going down across the water.

Besides making me afraid to get in the water for life, I'm sure Dad's serpent tale, along with all of his stories are a big part of why I'm doing what I'm doing....ie going into debt $150,000 so I can call my self a storyteller!

I love and miss you DAD! Happy Birthday!

martha corinna said...

Oh Nate, you are a wonderful story teller. I don't know the Serpent Lake Story. I swear I need Hypnotherapy in order to remember all the things you guys remember. What's wrong with me?

Mrs. Misses said...

That is the freakiest eye...I don't think I will be the same after seeing that. I'm in love with Saginaw and that story. Reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel, which your dad would fit right in with after seeing those fabulous threads...

The Christensen Family said...

Love this post. Not going to lie... made me cry. Envious of anyone that grows up with fun stories and an amazing dad...I was lucky enough to get one at 12, but had prolly seen and been through too much to believe any stories anyway.
Wierd that I am somehow lamely gullible as an adult. Hmmm...
Cute stories. Darling pictures. Poor Brad - your children are little mini Marthas. He has got no chance! Lucky you are so gorgeous...