Friday, August 17, 2007

Decidedly Indecisive

Since it went so well last time (thanks to the opinions being split down the middle, I still don't know what to do), my friend Kelly persuaded me to present my current dilemma to the public. Again, I know you are a small public, but you are all so stylish.
The floor plan of the home we are building is very open, too open for me in fact. When you are married you make compromises, my compromise was to go more open (Brad is going to read this and say "What!?, I thought you loved our floor plan?". I do love it, I love it very much, I am just used to 'designated' areas). So to avoid a vast area of wood in our 'open' main floor, I'm wondering if I should set the kitchen/dining area apart by tiling the floor in this end.

Here is a photo of the floor I am thinking of, except not checked. I was thinking of a harlequin (diamond) design. What do you think? I know , this is heavy stuff.

13 comments:

Wendy said...

I really like the idea of tiling the kitchen to break up the vast expanse. I'm not a fan of black & white floors, but the harlequin does sound fun.

...and a stainless hood would look fabulous with black & white flooring. :) he he

martha corinna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

I say go for it!

Graphic design? I knew it had to be something artistic and creative. You've got great style!

em kawasaki said...

love it! love Love LOVE it! I tried to talk Mark into checkerboard but he was not having it.

May I live vicariously through you?

em kawasaki said...

p.s. sorry you didn't make it to San Franciso. Maybe when you aren't a milk machine you should consider a road trip with some girl friends. I would be willing to volunteer for the job.

martha corinna said...

I knew I could count on you for support Emily. You are the epitome of style and that is why I need to take you shopping for home stuff and to San Fransisco when the lactating comes to a close.

Rochelleht said...

I so love black and white checks. I did that in my first house. I also love love diagonal. That's how I have my tile now.

Kelie said...

From someone not so daring...I say go for it! Martha it is You! especially the harlequin. I love your taste in decor!

Nathan said...

harlequin sounds awesome and all those good things. but do you think you'll get tired of it?

martha corinna said...

Nate, the pattern is pretty timeless, as in, it dates back quite a few years. I love looking at the old Sugarhouse homes on line, some of them have this floor. I don't know how soon I would tire of it. I have loved it for a # of years now so maybe it still has some millage. We'll see.

Laurie said...

Love the idea of the harlequin!!! Kinda wish I'd done something like that when we put in our wood floors. I think you'll love it!!

Tate Family said...

Well, if anyone could pull it off, it would be you...to me, too busy, but that's because I wouldn't know how to decorate around it (I'd for sure be calling YOU)...Does Brad like it is the million dollar question???...in the end, you're the one stuck with it, so be sold on it before you do it!

Tate Family said...

Martha, help, this questions mainly for you, check out my blog question!