Monday, July 9, 2007

By Jury of My Peers


I've been judged. Really, I already knew the verdict. My grammar isn't perfect, neither is my spelling. In fact I was just notified by spell check that 'grammar' was spelled wrong. Spelling and grammar have never been my forte. I get my coarse and courses mixed up, as well as my then and thans. I'm not even going to mention my lies and lays. Sometimes I forget a comma or a colon and how do I use a semi-colon again?
In school I was too busy drawing to pay attention to such trivial things, you should see the covers of my notebooks. In college there was always a teacher or a friend or Dad to edit my papers. Now by blogging, my crimes have been exposed and I must make restitution.
My husband and my brother Andy (both attorneys, I am lucky to have two attorneys in my family to critique even the smallest detail. Have you ever sat down to dinner and been cross-examined? It's awesome) often point out my blogging errors. Yes, I need an editor. Who knew that blogging would be my downfall?
So I am sorry if I have offended any with my coarseness. My parents really did raise me better then this. Next time you see an error please overlook my imperfection or call me and I will give you my pass word and you can edit. Besides Andy and Brad, only Dad and Nate read my blog, and there is no competing, grammatically speaking, with a BYU librarian and a Columbia University MFA play write candidate. I decided to just let it all hang out.
I will aim higher, for better grammar and more readers. Stay tuned and peace out juris doctorates.

5 comments:

Cottonia said...

When you say you will "aim higher," do you mean to get readers other than dad and Nate?

Wendy said...

You've got at least one additional reader . . . I'm guessing more than that! :)

I'm also guessing that there are more bloggers with worse spelling and grammar than you, than there are better equipped bloggers. I could use an editor as well . . . but I have seen some doozies!

becky said...

no worries! every one has mistakes. you are just one that blogged about it, when we all could!

Andy Wright said...

Martha, you are making so much progress. This weekend we'll work on "it", "it's" and "its".

em kawasaki said...

I hesitate to leave a comment for the fear of being "judged" as well. Anytime you want to feel better about your grammatical errors just click on over to my blog where the commas flow freely and the spelling errors are in abundance.