Monday, July 23, 2007

Birthday Vertigo




My birthday is soon, very soon. This is a big birthday for me, as in 'I am on the eve of being very old'. There hasn't been much celebrating recently on my birthdays. I think my last big birthday party was when I was 3. We were at the cottage in Old Mission, I got a round purse. I was happy. At least that's the way it looks in the pictures of that day.
This year I've let it be known that I want and need at least 1 day that is about ME this year.
The past 5 years there has either been a baby in my womb or a baby at my breast, and for at least 4 or 5 months, both. They have all overlapped and I am very, very tired.
My husband has agreed to take me away from it all(with the exception of Abram, of course)for 3 whole days. That's all Griffiths & Turner can spare, but I'm not complaining, beggars can't be too choosy you know. So, the question is, with 3 whole days, where do I go?



I'm a Hitchcock geek and my all time favorite movie is Vertigo. My father rented it for me when I was a young girl and I've been haunted ever since. As a child, I was obsessed with the name Madeline. I've outgrown that(too trendy), but Carlota is now the favorite that I should have had all along. I'm no platinum blond but I love a nice white coat and a black dress and suit.
I've never been to San Fransisco but have always longed for Jimmy Stewart to fish me out of the bay after throwing myself in. Really, it looks very romantic and I hear the shopping is to die for(enter Jimmy Stewart and the San Fransisco Bay again).



So, should I follow Carlota, a.k.a Kim Novak, to San Fransisco for a birthday celebration? Is there a more celebratory destination that I am unaware of that you would suggest?

Let me know. Until next time, sweet dreams.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm so excited for you about this!

I vote San Francisco. I love San Francisco. There are both busy and mellow things to do there, culture as well as nature to experience, romantic and adventurous things to see and feel. The cool weather is fabulous. The beach I often went to was breezy, solitary, dreamy. If I remembered where it was, I'd tell you go to to my old favorite Lebanese Deli and get the spicy potato salad. Yummm...

I'm curious to see what else you think of and where you end up going!

Kate Benson said...

Yes, yes, yes! San Fran all the way! Make sure my bro COMMITS, you deserve it.

Kelie said...

I have only been to San Francisco once...but loved every second there! I think that is a great choice! Great sites and great shopping. How fabulous to have a "YOU" vacation!

Suzie Petunia said...

Wherever you go: enjoy!!

becky said...

3 days....hummm...you could do a lot in 3 days. san francisco would be fantastic, my twin works there 5 days of out the week and every time i call her she's at a great restaurant or doing some great shopping...so yes, that would be my vote too!

Nathan said...

Yipeee!! Go to San Fran....but, have you even considered NYC? With a 9 month old.....hmmmmm...

Rochelleht said...

Make sure you get tickets for Alcatraz 3 days early. They are backed up and we missed it.

If you have time, do Napa Valley. I liked it a lot better than SF.

em kawasaki said...

San Francisco is one of Mark and My favorite cities ever. The food is INCREDIBLE! It almost doesn't matter where you eat, it's good everywhere. The city is gorgeous and the shopping is heavenly.

Mark and I were recently in Vail, CO. and while the trip was difficult (because we had kids with us) we decided that it would be a great vacation without children. The air in the mountains was so clean and the surroundings were really beautiful. They had incredible restaurants, spas and the place is filled with quirky boutiques for great shopping. It would be a very relaxing vacation. Call me for more info.