Thursday, February 5, 2009

Organic



A thousand miles away lie the ashes of my youth.

Finite rain drops and honey squandered.

Ribbons of dandelions, green beans, butcher paper and sunbeams spent.



Housed in this grown frame stirs the child that fancied
pussy willows
thunder
mossy forest floors
and monarch cocoons delicately fastened to garden vegetables.



Molded in the iron ore.
Humbled by heterogeneity.
Impassioned by need and rural serenity.



Four children blossom in their father's place of origin. Familiar is his home and the soil he tread upon. The view from which he grew is within their sight.



My heart aches to transcend the miles and years-to show how and where, they also come from.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

If that is you in the bottom picture on bottom, left-hand side, then Lulu is a spitting image of her mother.

Ah, sounds like your formative years were dreamy.

the wrath of khandrea said...

man, this is a plug for the co-op, isn't it.

are you trying to pick a fight with me?

Rochelleht said...

I second Anna's comment. Wow!

That just means she'll be gorgeous when she grows up. Lucky girl.

just jen said...

i hope that my kids aren't going to be too messed up, seeing as how they will never really have a place they will be able to call home...

maybe if we always some home to utah for vacations they will adopt it.

poor kids of mine!

AMiller said...

I agree - Lulu looks just like you. I had to take a second glance to make sure that was a picture of you.

Anonymous said...

love your poetry-- and yes, lucky Lulu. I am constantly drawn to New England-- where my father grew up and my hubby longs for Germany and Denmark where much of his family still lives.

Kate said...

Hello Lu on the bottom pic... wow, crazy!

Nathan said...

Molded in the iron ore...
i think you've done a much better job of cultivating the minnesotan component of your identity...i go so quickly to the summers in michigan because there is an easier through line to them--more recent memories and more people to share them with in various areas of my life--sometimes I feel like the 14 years I spent in Crosby are harder to pick up and make sense of...but last winter being in minneapolis and seeing maggie was powerful...
ahhh minnesota...
you really are a beautiful writer martha....WHEN ARE WE GONNA TALK?!

Jake said...

Always beautiful to read and observe!

p.s. Will you email me your address? You WON in my diet-tips prize drawing. Congrats!!