Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemaking Crack



Something has taken hold of me. I am hooked on some kind of homemaking high(somewhat unnatural).
When I was called to be the YW president, I was asked to teach homemaking skills. Initially, I thought,"What is this, the 19th century?". Not really. Kind of. But then I prayed, and thought about it, and the Bishop was right. My greatest treasure(these days) is found in being a homemaker. There is great joy and satisfaction in serving in this capacity, and of course, the girls have loved it-almost as much as the karaoke.

But in the midst of teaching these skills, I've become an addict. I can't cool down. If I'm not involved in something 'productive' I begin to flounder.

Here, I'll show you.



So, I'm almost done with Norah's quilt. I just have a strip to sew down the back and then it's off to the machine quilter's. Then I start with Lulu's.





While I was at the quilting shop, I noticed giant ric rac. I conspired to produce pillows decorated with the ric rac for the kids play area. But it wasn't enough.

*this is Abram's rebellious do, meaning he rebels and I don't do it.



I saw some pretty little a-line skirts made from vintage polyester. They were $70. I decided to check ebay for vintage polyester. Yup, vintage polyester for $1.50. I now own it, and I will show you the results in a few days.

I started thinking about Easter dresses. I love this one at Jcrew. But 3 of those, at $118? Probably not. So this weekend I found a very similar pattern, decided to mix these two fabrics





and we will see how it goes. I have until April 12th, right? Maybe I can pass this off in my personal progress.





I also(finally)uploaded photos to Shutterfly(first time ever, because I am that awesome), got a number of enlargements, bought a million clearance frames at Target(a bit boring in color, but workable) and unfinished frames at Roberts. For family home evening we are going to have a painting party and by the end hopefully we have colorful frames and not broken fragments of discount store trash. I will let you know how this works out because I know you can't wait.

You are probably thinking that I need to lay off the hooch. You are probably right. But I need to seize the hooch while it flows, because soon enough it may dry up.

You know what I'm sayin?

14 comments:

just jen said...

seize the hooch!

seize the hooch!

i will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the results of the skirt and the dresses!

i am so excited, and i don't know why.
homemaking makes me very happy.

and those pillows kill me. love them.

the wrath of khandrea said...

...or maybe you should embrace the hooch and quilt the thing your damn self. poser.

the wrath of khandrea said...

sorry, i just had domesticity envy. that was a little harsh.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Wow! I feel like a slacker. Are you dealin' and if so, how much do you charge for an ounce of that kind of crack?
Those dresses are AWESOME! I (too) can't wait to see even more results!

Rochelleht said...

I so get it. Sometimes we go through those phases. I'm not in that one right now, but I have and I get it. Have fun with it.

I so agree that YW need homemaking skills. I'm constantly amazed at how many women don't know how to sew.

Anonymous said...

ooh, you are inspiring. The pillows are sooooooo fab. Love it all. I too can't wait to see the dresses and skirts--- but you're mean to send me over to J Crew because now I want the silk twill garden party dress with the matching headband and shoes.

Annemarie said...

I LOVE a good project! You are inspiring me...

Unknown said...

I LOVE that ric rac, are you kidding me? I need some of that NOW!

And I cannot wait to see your skirts. I love funky fabrics and a-line skirts: it's a match made in heaven!

em kawasaki said...

I love all the great projects. My sister and I do a sewing night about once a week. We both bring our sewing machines, projects, and some treats and have a great time. You should join us sometime!

Sheri King said...

I am loving all of your projects. I can't wait to see the skirts. You are kicking the crap out of my domesticness.

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

This is just what I was talking about on fbk - talent, talent, talent!! If I bought a piece of fabric I would have no idea what to do with it. Use it as a blanket I guess, without stitching. Your projects are beautiful and I love all your homemaking projects and your skills. You're awesome!

Jake said...

Wish it were contagious...

Will you come be my daughter's YW leader in four years?

diane said...

Now if you could get the YW to do all that stuff for you...2 birds with one stone.

Brooke said...

have you though about opening up an etsy shop? starting with those pillows?

(maybe the yw could be your slave labor.)

and i'm a sucker for crewcuts. i can't resist it.

i love it all. could you bottle your style so i could sprinkle it around my house?