Wednesday, February 11, 2009

On showing up to the eternal round




My parents don't have a perfect marriage. I've watched as they've argued, endured, and tolerated.

I've also watched as they've sustained, appreciated, recognized, and sacrificed.

Most memorably, I've watched them love and humble themselves.

As I fumble through life, waves of gratitude overtake me as I recognize the depth of beauty my family has blessed me with.

My parents married young-naive, but true. Their early journey brought them to Buddhism, vegetarianism, parenthood, homesteading, and eventually to Mormonism.



My parents are faithful. I find myself continually falling back on their pioneer example. Early membership in the church couldn't have been convenient or elementary. Yet they served, in any and every capacity, without complaint, without pride, and all while struggling to raise 8 children.

My agrarian childhood was happy. I had a father who taught me passion and mercy. I had a mother who taught me the importance of hard work and self-reliance. Compassion flourished and formed the fiber of our understanding. From the nurturing of stray cats(I would need ten hands to count the number of stray cats we cared for) and fallen birds, to the open home and open hands which welcome the intellectually challenged, students whose homes are far away, and those in need, we have always been taught to serve the "least of these". And I am happy.



I often look to my siblings for confirmation of my blessed life. "By their fruits ye shall know them" serves my parents well in this sense. My siblings are thoughtful and genuine. They seek opportunities to serve. I am often humbled by their sincere desire to love and to embrace. Recurrently, my favorite moments are those spent in the company of my siblings and their thoughts.



And here I am, setting out with a husband and 4 souls to tether.

As I stumble along the way, become confused, misguided, or overwhelmed, there is substance to draw from. When I am too tired or prideful to pray, when my scriptures can wait, and when my calling seems heavy, I have been taught better.

I have been blessed. My blessings come with a price. I am accountable to those who came before and those who lie ahead.

So here I continue to go.

12 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

ah yes. first again. first to read your inspiring and eloquent words. first to get the lift i need in my mid-afternoon craziness. first to be able to appreciate a friendship that exists in such an unusual realm.

first is good.

queenieweenie said...

what a beautiful post...thank you for sharing.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Very nice Martha. I love those pics! It's so fun to see the original Wright clan.

Anonymous said...

Ah- I love this. And do you ever take a bad picture? You're simply gorgeous.

I don't come from a strong family-- but I am always looking for role models.

AMiller said...

Your words are a great reminder as I sit here wanting peace but finding only screaming children and messes to clean that there is a great purpose to this job called motherhood.

Brooke said...

i second what michelle said: you are gorgeous! plus, your entire family is quite good looking. wow.

and, i love what you wrote.

Rochelleht said...

Your family is seriously gorgeous. Easy to see where you got your good looks!

just jen said...

i really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

i love my family too.

Nathan said...

It's true--we ARE all pretty friggin' attractive, and thank the lord, because that, in the end, is what is most important, right? Not all that shizzle about compassion, kindness, patience, tolerance and humility...PAALEASE--it's about the body and the face--which we got in abundance-iouso, right? It has certainly served me well....yeah?

On a more banal note, the older I grow the more I am continuously humbled and amazed at how wonderful mom and dad are--of course they are devoted, self-sacrificing, full of unconditional love, slow to judge, quick to accept diversity, and faithful to truth, but most importantly they are JUST themselves--imperfect and real. Sometimes they get angry, sometimes they are impatient, sometimes they judge quickly, sometimes Dad farts during prayers....BUT they taught us to just set your mind on good and GO!

I love that Mom has taught us self-reliance and given us the "just-shut-up-and-work" attitude and Dad has given us mercy and passion. I love that in this case the stereo-typical gender roles have been turned a little on their heads. Because of this I adore kind, compassionate men and despise weak, needy women (pi-tu-ee!!!) (Just kidding--needy chicks are the BEST!!! =) )

Anyway, I am a little bit of a smart-ass too, a little sarcastic--but these qualities I did not obtain--in no way-no shape or form--from either of our parents. A sarcastic or smart-alecky word was ne'er uttered in our family, right?

Martha, you are good, kind, intelligent, talented, devoted, full of good works and so much love and I LOVE and MISS you like the dickens!!!

Thanks for this post, I needed it today!!!

MMMMMUUUAAHH!

Mrs. Misses said...

You do have a great family. And from the way you kids have turned out, you know that your parents were on to something...I hope I can be half of that.

Go Wrights!

Samantha said...

Very well!! How many siblings do you have?

Erica said...

I loved this post! I feel so much like I know your whole family, although everyone has grown and now most of them have their own families which I have yet to meet. You do have a great family, not to mention everyone is pretty dang good-looking!

I love how you write, Martha! Miss you!