Monday, February 23, 2009

Garden Variety

I once had a favorite sweater.



I purchased it years ago with wages earned in small doses.

Burgundy and trim, it flattered a waistline not yet expanded by budding life.



The wool warmed my free, young arms; arms that were not yet filled by children with delicate wool-objecting jowls.



Tucked in reserve behind easy and accessible tees and tops, the sweater sat.

Reclaiming my waist(ever so slightly), I pulled out the sweater. Could I once again, regain the grace that was featured in this sweater?



I bathed it gently in the hand wash cycle on cold, anticipating an air dry. A dutiful but naive sweater launderer switched loads on me.
I found my sweater small, boiled, felted, never again to be reclaimed.



Perhaps it is best. Regaining 25 was a pipe dream. My hips and breast will be heavy with motherhood for years to come. But what is 25 when 36 looks like this?

9 comments:

Annie said...

Amen! And look how sweet it looks on her now. (I've had a few helpful sweater launderers/dryers in my day but didn't think to save the sweaters. Good for you!)

AMiller said...

It looks so great on Norah! I actually did that myself to two of my favorite sweaters - I was too sad to send them to DI. I gave them to younger cousins, but now I am wishing that I would have saved them for my girls.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Those are kind words - "dutiful but naive sweater launderer." I wouldn't have been so kind. Until I saw it could fit a daughter.

just jen said...

i have been "the dutiful but naive sweater launderer".

i shrunk my husbands favorite sweater 3 years ago and he still hasn't forgiven me...and i still feel bad.

as least yours is still wearable, his would have only fit a small dog...

Wendy said...

She does look adorable, but I grieve for you. I shrunk my favorite blouse a few years back. I'm not going to talk about how I gave it to my 9 months pregnant friend and it was too big for her in the bust.

the wrath of khandrea said...

the best part of the post was the picture sequence; like norah is a little you.

Anonymous said...

Norah is so incredibly beautiful!

But I mourn for your sweater-- it might have been nice to feel 25 again.

em kawasaki said...

I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. So sorry. I know the loss of a great sweater can be devastating but Norah looks fantastic in it.

The Christensen Family said...

Martha -- I miss you more... I love your blog. I find myself checking in when I need to be inspired or feel somehow comforted. You amaze me. Love the sweater... Let's get together soon. Love you, Steph