Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Love Story



Michelle, made me realize that I've written very little when it comes to Rosemary(except to complain of the short term goal she undertook, to drive me insane).

So here you go.



Previous to Rosemary, I had been blessed with 3 beautiful children. Difficult, yes. But beautiful.



Norah is passionate and loving. But the girl never slept, still has sleeping issues. She also, has never been still, ever. As a baby she never allowed me to snuggle her close or rock her to sleep(slightly heartbreaking for a first time mother).



Lulu is a blessing in my life. She makes me a better mother. But she was colicky. She would start to fuss at 4pm. By 9pm there seemed to be nothing I could do to console her. Most nights her crying lasted until midnight, others until 3am.



With his enormous eyes, Abram has been charming right from the start. But, he woke repeatedly every night-until he was 2! When I decided I could no longer spend hours rocking, comforting, or breastfeeding him, he spent hours crying and screaming. You know how they say that if you let them cry it out, within a short while they learn how to put themselves to sleep? Yeah, right, unless you consider 18 months a short while.

Are you starting to see a pattern here? I used to tell people that I loved my babies, but I had a hard time liking them until they reached the year mark.

Enter Rosemary.



Besides those trying 2 weeks, Rosemary is a dream come true. I don't love her more than I do my other children, but I enjoy her. It's such a blessing to have a baby that is easy to enjoy. I'm so grateful that I get to experience her patient, gentle companionship. She reminds me to slow down, to hold her(and the others)close.



Her eyes always seek my company and lock upon my glance intensely without being demanding.



She is a hungry girl. Her appetite is voracious. She loves and seeks the enjoyment of her siblings. And they love her(mostly).



With each child, the feeling of familiarity has grown stronger. As I grow and develop as a mother, the sense of recognition deepens. When our eyes meet, somewhere, there is a glimmer of remembrance. I know Rosemary. She is familiar to me.



I have very few 'concrete' beliefs. But this I do know, salvation comes in the power of a babe.

10 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

we must have the same window of free time each day. like the almost three o'clock window. because you always post when i am on here.

i felt the need to explain that since i seem to be the first to comment most of the time on your posts, and i don't want anyone thinking i stalk you.

seriously. if you find a noseprint on your window, or footprints in your hedges, they are NOT mine.

baby rose-m is getting so big. no more newborn. waaaaah...

Carina said...

So lovely. And you've made me fall in love with the name Rosemary again.

AMiller said...

"salvation comes in the power of a babe"

I think you are the queen of poetic thinking (I obviously am not)

I am so glad you get an easy baby - it is hard to remember how precious they are when we don't have the energy to really cherish them

cathy said...

I'm so glad she is such a sweet baby. You deserve her. I can't get over how much she looks like Brad!

queenieweenie said...

easy babies are definitely a blessing.

Annemarie said...

I love how you said she is familiar to you. Isn't that the BEST feeling?

Nathan said...

Martha
this was really stunning in its gentle beauty
(that sounded lame----hmmm--how to say what I mean?,,,? I loved this. I miss my nieces and nephews...when can I meet Rosemary and get to know these souls I've not seen in so long? =( )

I love and miss you. Thanks for sharing you and your goodness, Martha.

Once again, really lovely writing and photography. I admire you, big sister!

Anonymous said...

You brought me to tears.

"With each child, the feeling of familiarity has grown stronger. As I grow and develop as a mother, the sense of recognition deepens. When our eyes meet, somewhere, there is a glimmer of remembrance. I know Rosemary. She is familiar to me."

Oh my-- pure poetry.

"salvation comes in the power of a babe." sigh.

love love love love

Sigh.

Insightful Nana said...

You guys really deserve a "good" baby... I'll say you've paid your dues. I really admire how you and Brad have handled a difficult situation.

In some ways it gets easier as they get older... but new challenges arise. I know you and "B" can handle anything that comes along... because you love your kids so much

Love you all

Nana

Jill said...

Ditto to what Michelle said.

Beautiful Beautiful Post. Just what I needed today as I'm expecting my 4th and feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.