Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Pretty

I like the pretty. I am grateful for the pretty. My husband would argue that I like too much pretty and may be an over zealous consumer of the pretty.
But this is not the pretty I speak of today. I am thankful for the simple, less contrived pretty.



The pretty that gently persuades.



The pretty that is free of an agenda.



The pretty that easily goes unnoticed.



I depend on the pretty to remind me.



When things (or I) don't feel pretty, I embrace pretty, and pretty becomes part of me.



Call me silly or shallow, but I love the pretty.

If only I could fit shoes into this 'pretty' category.

11 comments:

AMiller said...

I was blog hopping - and I love this. Taking time to appreciate the natural "pretty" can be so peaceful.

Celia Fae said...

Um, who told you shoes didn't count? What about the pretty that goes unnoticed? It could fall under that category.

I do love me some pretty too.

Rochelleht said...

I love that! I've said for years, it's all about the aesthetics. What would we do without pretty?

Laurie said...

And Martha, you have a way of making everything pretty.

Sidenote: My husband is singing "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." right now. Apparently he likes pretty too. Oh geez.

Wendy said...

Amen to what laurie said.

When we first got married, my dh had a hard time understanding why pretty mattered. Why replace his interesting choice of curtain fabrics? Why cover the perfectly functional (albeit not pretty) couches? He's coming around, but I think some men don't really get that pretty makes a difference.

just jen said...

i love pretty...that is why i am sad that i don't have a little girl. my husband would kill me if i tried to make the boys pretty.
he was pretty mad that i called connor's underwear panties while we were potty training him...what can i say? i am a girl, through and through!

D-dawg said...

pretty pictures. This is a good reminder of how we all need to stop and remember to look at the pretty. It is so easy to get rushed around and not notice it!

shauna said...

This would make a great poem, or card or blog. Pretty!

em kawasaki said...

Martha - YOU are the pretty.

mindy said...

shoes..did someone mention shoes? Shoes are definitely pretty!

The Christensen Family said...

Ditto... I love the pretty... you are a talented photographer... I think that we should all get together one night and exchange photo tips... And by that I mean - you and Becky teach me... XXOO