Monday, November 5, 2007

In the Spirit of Thanksgiving

For the whole month of November, I've decided to only post gratitude posts. By gratitude I really mean, I'm using The Secret, and by The Secret I really mean, the Bible and my 3rd set of scriptures, As A Man Thinketh, by James Allen (I knew the secret a long time ago and have not yet fully internalized it enough in order to manifest millions of dollars or mild mannered children).
Really, I could use more than a whole month of focusing on my blessings. Good things seem to happen when I remember how the Lord has blessed me. One of my favorite scriptures is in Moroni 10:3. It is part of the promise given to those who read the Book of Mormon. I love vs. 3 because Moroni lays the foundation for receiving guidance from the Lord. The part I think is important is "that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts". When I remember and ponder my blessings, my heart is softened, I feel humble, teachable, malleable. This is when I am taught by the spirit.
The direction of my life was changed by one of these moments. I am so not a 'Saturday's warrior' person. I don't like to use the word 'fate' or 'destiny', I prefer choice, it creates more responsibility. I have had one perfect moment in my life when fate intervened and a choice had to be made.
In 1994, when I was 21, I was walking down the stairs of my parents home and was feeling overwhelmed with gratitude. I had discovered the blessings of the Atonement. I had a job I loved. I had many loving friends and a wonderful young adult ward. As I considered these blessings, a waking dream (or vision I suppose) entered my mind. I was a few years down the road, I was a mother, and I was a returned missionary. I knew what this meant and the tears began to flow. I had not wanted to serve a mission but there was no way to deny what I had seen and felt. A mission changed my life and I will be forever grateful.
I need to be reminded. I need more visions (because that was the only one I've ever had). I need the blessings of gratitude, because regardless of how my blog makes it look, life's not easy. I get confused. Motherhood doesn't always come naturally, and my husband could always use a better wife. And I know I need to let everyone know (including the universe), that I have been blessed.
So get ready. Some of my blessings may be silly or shallow, but I am counting ALL of them, well some I will keep to myself.

So here are my top 4 on November 5, 2007:









12 comments:

Mrs. Misses said...

I've been thinking about gratitude a lot lately, too, especially with my birthday come and gone, 30 years come and gone, my beautiful baby boy born after a miscarriage and that lesson in Relief Society yesterday. November is a perfect time to reflect on all of the amazing things we have been blessed with..
I'm also really touched by your story of vision and humbled at your obedience and faithfulness. That is an inspiration and an example to follow. Thanks for sharing.

I am hoping to find another ocassion to get together with you and your family. We will have to find time soon!

Rochelleht said...

You freakin' rock! I love that! What a great idea. I love your story of the mission. Those moments are so scary. Just like when I knew we needed to adopt. I hadn't planned it, but I also couldn't deny what I was supposed to do. The Lord always knows what is best for us and we are always better off following Him. We are all so blessed. I'm excited to read all your other 'gratefuls'.

Trish said...

I look forward to see what you are grateful for each day...you an amazing woman, wife, and mother. And yes, I do think great minds think alike :)

Crystal said...

Wow what a great idea! I love Novemenber it really give us a time to reflect although I know we should do it all year there can be alot of little distractions...I love your story and apprieciate your testimony, I admire the fact that you served a mission( not an easy choice) I'm sure...You are amazing!

Natalie said...

What a great idea. I've actually been thinking about this myself and gratitude really makes a difference in personal happiness. Thanks for helping me remember how truly blessed I am.

Wendy said...

I love this, Martha. Thanks for sharing that experience you had in 1994. I had a different experience but similar insight related to me going on a mission. I'm so grateful the Lord blesses us like that.

I love As A Man Thinketh, too. I bet it's time for a re-read.

I keep wanting to write more things I like about what you said. You said good things. I'm grateful for your post!

D-dawg said...

Great idea. I agree that being thankful changes your whole perspective on life. And it makes everyone around you happier! I'm looking forward to reading your blog this month.

shauna said...

Thanks for sharing. Your children and husband are blessed.

Celia Fae said...

I'm thankful for that picture of Abram. I don't believe in betrothal, but seeing him makes me consider it for Alice.

Leslee said...

What a great post! I, too, need to focus more on my blessings. It's crazy how the Spirit works. I had a similar experience. I was NEVER planning on serving a mission, even 4 months before I left, but the Spirit told me otherwise, and it was DEFINITELY a life-changing experience that I would consider one of my greatest blessings! I, too, had a desire to serve because of my testimony of the Atonement (because I can honestly say I wasn't one of those people that was real knowledgeable in the scriptures, or even the gospel doctrine for that matter!)

just jen said...

it is a really good idea to spend some time each day thinking about your blessings...and now while i read yours i will think of mine. thank you.

i am sad i didn't get to *meet* you at allison's party...maybe next time!

em kawasaki said...

It has been proven that it can actually benefit you, not just mentally but physically as well, to take some time every day and sit and meditate on the good things in your life. Plus you are being such a good example for your kids who will also learn to be grateful for even the silly things.

Mark is out of town this whole week but next week we can do dinner. Call me.