Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Macaroni and Cheese



The autumn night was warm and still. The azure sky was painted in fire and gold.



The peaks of Timpanogos were bathed in pastels.



The humble garden offered her last tomatoes and suggested the use of her forlorn, dying chives.



With shallots and great expectations on my mind, I undertook the feat of composing the most delectable macaroni and cheese ever.



There were 3 gourmet cheeses. Heavy cream, basil, tomatoes, and bay leaves swirled in heated effort.



A lonesome can of Costco crab meat sacrificed itself for the good of the whole.



Penne and paprika alliterated the dish.

The children were called with the promise of deliciousness.

The excited feet bounded up the staircase in hot pursuit of such a simple pleasure.



As the first enticing bite was placed in Lulu's mouth, enthusiasm and anticipation quickly turned to tears and bitter disappointment.



Lulu can still be heard to mutter pained, knowing lyrics of deception, trickery, and duplicities.

I am a fallen momma.

16 comments:

Wendy said...

My mouth started watering after the second picture. Poor Lulu. It sounds fantastic. Mmmm...

sarahlouise said...

martha,
thats hilarious. Just know that to the more mature pallettes, that looks DELICIOUS :)

Kelie said...

I seriously have to have your recipe...this looks amazing! I love what you come up with!

just jen said...

as my son would say, "if it's not the one in the blue box, then it's not macaroni and cheese, mommy!"

Leslee said...

My gosh! You are quite the cook! I do have a homemade mac and cheese recipe, but not quite as creative as yours (and probably not near as good, either)!

Kate Benson said...

Oh my, yummers, I'll eat that! Lulu... that's funny.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, that was so funny! Holy freakin' crap! (I can say 'naughty words' on the computer. It's the only place I can get them out without my kids hearing them!) That was seriously the best looking mac and cheese EVER! You amaze me. What a cook you are!

Nathan said...

LOL! That was awesome.... just tell LuLu that there are people who would kill to eat the delectable macroni and cheese!

Mrs. Misses said...

I can't believe your kids actually would try this. How do you get your kids to TRY things? That is my biggest challenge at the moment is just getting a lick or a tiny taste. I can't even get Cam to go past a sniff on most things. But...crab? Really?

Sheri King said...

I didn't think I liked mac'n'cheese, THEN I saw your version. Now you've got to post your recipe.

It's funny people saying their kids won't try crab because Tyler loves it. The grocery store here actually makes decent sushi, and they use real crab meat in their California rolls. Tyler just pulls the crab out and wastes the rest.

Trish said...

Mmmm....that looks delicious! I want to try all those amazing recipes out there that trick your kids into eating healthy. Someday...post your recipe! I think we as your following would appreciate it :)

Annemarie said...

LOOKS FABULOUS TO ME!!!

D-dawg said...

I agree... it looks delicious. And don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us. In fact, it happens at my house almost every night!

Laurie said...

That is hysterical! I was so impressed as I was reading that your kids would eat that. My kids will only eat Kraft. The stinkers.

The Christensen Family said...

can't tell you how many times this happens at my house. i keep thinking that they only need to be trained and soon enough will appreciate my gourmet specialties... not so much. ramen is still the favorite of 5 and under at my house... maybe someday! :)

shauna said...

I'll take seconds and thirds please!