Monday, June 4, 2007

Second Chances


Some family that was in town for the wedding took a fly fishing trip this past week. Lucky for me they stopped by my parents home to visit Sunday.
So... guess what, I got some pictures and was able to steal a few precious moments of chatting. No more blues. This simple yet cherished visit just happens to coincide with some principles and thoughts I've been trying to process and incorporate into my life these past 6 months. Ok, so maybe they are elementary principles but it seems to me that we just keep learning the same stuff until we have it down.
I've been trying to shed the layers of past hurts, criticisms, unforgivingness, insecurities, self-absorption and hardheartedness. As a mother I've had to do a fair amount of soul searching to understand how I can become a better mother to my children. There are so many things I've held onto that have, at times, kept me from being free with love and ultimately unable to be truly happy. I've come to realize recently that the only way to be crazy happy is to be completely free with love, affection, compliments and withhold nothing. I believe by helping others feel as good about themselves as possible we feel best about ourselves. I believe criticism is destructive and prohibits one from seeing the good and beauty in another. I don't think I'll ever regret showing or telling someone how wonderful or lovely they are but I know I've regretted too many times when I haven't. I want my children's days to be sunny and my home to be warm. I set the tone for this by the choices I make minute by minute.Everyday is an opportunity for rebirth, I don't want to hold back, I want to be, as Victor Hugo says, "endlessly, foolishly merciful".
So here's to second chances, open hearts and evolution. Here's to true freedom, happiness, blessings and forgiveness. Here is also to family, weddings and groundhog day. And apparently, to ice cream bars. Party on Peter.

3 comments:

Kate Benson said...

Oh Martha, this is so beautifully put. I like this attitude very much and wish myself and others could come to this conclusion. Thank you for the inspiration!

Nathan said...

Martha! Sorry I didn't get to this early enough to call and talk. I'll call tomorrow--but this is really beautiful and I am glad you wrote it. It helped me out tonight....love you!

Erica said...

I love reading your blog, Martha. You are so thoughtful in your posts. This particular post made me tear up. Life is full of disappointment, hurt, and hard times. I also believe that it's through trying our own best to soften our hearts that we can feel true happiness--or crazy happy, like you said. It's true that what you do want and what you don't want for your own family is a great motivator. You look so pretty and so happy in the picture with Brad and your kids. Life is also so full of happiness--your kids are so lucky to have you. Brad, too!! Say hello to your family members for me!!