Saturday, June 30, 2007

Refugees of the Rodeo

Our tale begins in 1999. Brad had been romancing me for only a short while when he became a member of a band named Topaze and the Regency. 'The Regency' frequently displayed their talents at fine, upstanding, smoke-filled establishments. Being in love, I became a reluctant, second-hand smokin' groupie. It was not all hacking and blood shot eyes, though. There were good times. I really liked the members of The Regency and I loved their music. There were late nights at taco joints, Dead Goats, dancing, and one gay rodeo. I especially liked Mark Smith, the guitarist in the band.
There was just one problem, I was the only girlfriend.I sat alone many a Saturday night doing my best to deflect drunken ABGers.
One night, as I sat on the sidelines waiting for the show to begin, Mark brought over a pretty young thing, sat her down next to me and said, "This is my friend Emily". I liked Emily immediately. She was a girl after my own heart. She loved Anthroplogie, shoes, and Topaze and the Regency. I was often grateful to have a sober companion who enjoyed the music but also understood the woes of being a musician's girlfriend.
Brad and I eventually married. Emily and Mark continued to date and date and date. Topaze and the Regency eventually went their separate ways. It's a common tale, drugs, money, egos. OK, maybe not the money.
Brad and I moved to Salt Lake City. Mark built a house in Lehi. In June, 2002, Mark and Emily invited us to attend the Lehi Rodeo with them. We all enjoyed ourselves that night but I was not feeling well. The next week I discovered I was pregnant.
Time went by. In 2003 Mark and Emily married and Brad and I had a daughter. In 2004 we moved to Utah Valley. That year, we invited Mark and Emily to the Rodeo. Both Emily and I were big with child. Not only were we uncomfortable pregnant women, but halfway through the rodeo the heavens exploded with bone chilling rain. We stuck it out until we saw the bulls, my favorite part, but I swore I would never go to the rodeo pregnant again. 2005 brought Mark and Emily's turn to invite us to the rodeo. If I remember right we all had a good time. In June of 2006, Emily and I were pregnant once again but the rodeo was a tradition by this point.
It is June and 'the Rodeo' is once again upon us. It's hot, I'm breastfeeding, I feel I've payed my dues at the rodeo, besides I HATE calf roping. I'm hoping Emily is feeling the same way. Luckily she does, we decide on dinner at our house. I also invite Mark's sister Natalie and her husband because they are our Traverse Mountain friends. The moon was beautiful that night.


The conversation was delightful but often interrupted.

There was lots of salmon, roasted vegetables, cheese cake, yelling, crying, laughing and biting.
I think perhaps it was our best rodeo get together yet.

1 comment:

em kawasaki said...

Your blog brings back a lot of very fond memories. As Mark is still doing the band thing I find myself sitting alone often, occasionally there are other wives or girlfriends but none will ever be as kindred of a spirit as you. That was definitely our best rodeo get together. The food was great, the company was wonderful and there were no calves being injured in front of us.