Monday, December 3, 2007

I Have Issues

When I embarked upon becoming a blogger, I envisioned posts which documented a beautiful family life. I welcomed the hope of departing (if only momentarily) from diapers, yelling, biting, hitting, potty training, time outs, sweeping, mopping, washing, drying, and scrubbing. I longed to replace the Dora and Diego lyrics etched in my now oatmeal of a brain, with creative, illustrative, and expressive prose and poetry. I wanted to once again, become a little bit of the old artistic Martha, and just a tiny bit less of the try-as-I-might (not so much) Donna Reed Martha.
There has been a little self expression here and there. And I have enjoyed the constant reminder to document the fleeting time I have with my beautiful offspring. But to take the time to actually articulate beyond surface feelings and thoughts takes a bit of time.
As much as I would like to write a post about how my life is like this...



I don't have the time or the inclination to lie to you today, for this...



is the art that awaits me.

So this post is for all of you girls who say that my blog makes you feel bad about your house, cooking, mom skills and your blog. Take it from me, the negligent launderer, you've nothing to feel bad about.

I'll try to post something less 'real' in the next few days.

And for those of you who ask for photos of the house we are building, I posted a link on my sidebar because I really don't want to be vain enough to think everyone is really that interested in a house.

18 comments:

em kawasaki said...

If laundry is your biggest issue than it's no wonder people feel bad about themselves after reading your blog. Come on, let's see something really real!
Just kidding, it is interesting that when you read someones blog you only get a tiny glimpse into their lives and really don't know what it is actually like. I guess that can be both a pro and a con of blogging.

Laurie said...

Not to brag or anything, but I just finished a stack of laundry that could rival yours!

just jen said...

yesterday i let connor stay home from church because he didn't have any clean underwear(logan was sick so daddy was staying home already)...how did i neglect my laundry that long??

Shayleen Lunt said...

I was thinking the same as Emily Smith (before I read her comment). I didn't think I would like having my laundry room clear in the basement...but now I love it! Out of site, out of mind!

Lindz said...

Laundry never goes away. I hate the never-ending task.

Rochelleht said...

I HATE LAUNDRY!!!!

It's so funny how clothes can look so fabulous on and make us feel so good and then be so ugly and make us feel so nasty when they take the form of 'laundry'.

Trish said...

It's nice to know you are "real"!! Don't feel bad about the 12 memories of Christmas - I honestly can't come up with 12 either. Mine will include traditions and I will probably steal some of Jesse's...

Annemarie said...

LOVE THIS POST!! As I read it I am listening to the dryer "ding" letting me know that my job of folding socks & underwear awaits! Pretty GLAM lives we lead!!!

Natalie said...

I love this entry because this is how I feel almost everyday. How does my family of four go through so much laundry? And why can't I take a few minutes to do something for myself without my house turning into a pigsty? I don't have the answers, but a night out with the girls can do wonders...how about it?

D-dawg said...

I hate laundry too. Sometimes when I haven't done it in awhile I just go shopping and buy clothes for my kids to wear the next day instead of washing what they have. I'd rather shop then launder any day. Good luck with that huge pile!!!

Nathan said...

hey! I've folded laundry from that room!

miss you!

the wrath of khandrea said...

ah, laundry. i wrote a similar post called 'the laundry quandry' a few months ago. read it for a commiserable laugh. there really is no answer. i recently discovered my middle child was putting all his clean, folded laundry right back into the hamper, because he couldn't be bothered to put it away. i was baffled by the huge loads for about two weeks, and then my genius kicked in and realized it was odd for me to be finding folded clothes in the hamper. i was nearly bested by a six year old. sad.

Erica said...

Hey, how do you know how to say it just right?? I have areas of my house that I love to look at--and then there is the reality!

Jake said...

We must be kindred spirits...or maybe laundry is the universal evil of all moms. I just snapped photos of my laundry piles today, thinking, "This is too hideous to believe. I must post."

I would much rather blog about laundry than actually DO the laundry.

shauna said...

Laundry is kind of like debt, it just sits there getting bigger and bigger and never goes away. Kind of depressing to know you will never get out of laundry debt. Wow, I need some chocolate. . . and a maid.

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

Hey Martha - just started blogging and came across your site. I love it! You are the most entertaining writer! I love your descriptions and feelings to everything you say. I had a laugh over this entry and know your feelings all too well.

shauna said...

Ya, okay, I think I meant interest not debt never sleeps and just gets bigger. And I guess you really can get out of debt, sigh :0), but doesn't work for laundry, double sigh ;0(--more chocolate please!

Wendy said...

wonderful, martha! my laundry is matching yours. i enjoy the balance of real and artistic and personal and family in your blog very much. You do handle even the real with a lvely artistic flare.