Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Vingnettes

We stuffed ourselves, like sardines, into the chapel gym to watch Norah's dance recital. Why it was in a chapel, I don't know. Why a much needed stage, which would have worked wonders in providing a way for all mothers, fathers, and extended family to see the preschoolers was absent, is unknown as well. Why the dance music was played on a small boom box in the corner,well you get the picture.
Even among said chaos, Norah did dance.



Although, Norah's displayed talents would be categorized more as interpretive dance moves.



In my opinion, Norah's moves were much more artistic and spellbinding then those taught to her by her teacher.



Lulu has always traveled to the beat of her own drum.



She refused to let a tutu stand in the way of an impromptu performance for a limited audience.



Lulu's loose interpretations carry much further than dance.

I asked Lulu to put her own pull-ups on this morning.



The expected is boring, I like the way Lu sees things.



Frequently, a reoccurring melodrama unfolds in our home. I place all of the children down stairs to play together. I walk up the stairs to mop the floor, to put clothing away, or to make some dinner. Within minutes Abram breaks into a pained cry. As I make my way down the stairs to come to the aid of my baby, I hear Norah scramble to hide under a table, all the while screaming, with the intensity of a wrongly accused woman, "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING (sob), I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING".



These are the parts that make up the whole, that we call our life.

16 comments:

Erica said...

May I be the 1st to comment on your post? You always have such a beautiful way of seeing thing. Oh, the joys of being a mom. Wonderful craziness. I love reading about your days--I am not alone!!

AMiller said...

I love the post - thanks for making the ordinary something wonderful and interesting to read. May we all be able to see such art in everyday life.

just jen said...

it sounds like norah and connor would get along very well, being the oldest is a very hard thing.

*i would know, i am the oldest too.

Jake said...

My favorite blogs are about the everyday magic. These days are precious and going to pass quickly! Thanks for documenting and sharing...

Fordney said...

Are these the joys that are awaiting me? I love Lu!! I want a framed picture of her bum for Owen's room. That is so cute! I love all your pictures of the kiddies- why can't I get cute ones like that of Owen?

Nathan said...

Yes, being the oldest must be very hard. Right, Martha?

I, personally, identify with the LuLu...she, like her older sister, dances to her own beat but she does it in her own clothers and wears her pants the way she wants to wear them!

Love you, Martha. I love reading about your days and your family. I wish I was there to share in all that joy more often!

Trish said...

That is the cutest bum picture ever! Thanks for always keeping it so real!

the wrath of khandrea said...

this is why blogging is great. because instead of coming upstairs and hiding in the linen closet with some prozac, you can take pictures of it, publicly document it, and maybe see some humor in it. and in 18 years, when you've survived it all, you can look back on it and say, "here's the proof, kids. this is why i'm going to vegas to blow all your college savings. you owe me."

Annemarie said...

I LOVE it! I can hardly wait for dance recitals...the "interpretive" dancers are always my favorite performers!

Not quite Utards said...

Martha, you DO keep it real. That's what's so great about you. LOVE Lu's pull-up attempt. Hilarious! Made my day!

Celia Fae said...

Martha, those are awesome pictures. I never would have thought to take a blurry one while they are dancing.

These are the days of our lives. And we like them. Really.

Rochelleht said...

That "I didn't do it!" thing sounds SOOOO familiar!

At least she was wearing a pull-up, albeit not correctly. TWICE this week, Derick has taken his off and sat and peed on my carpet. NICE!

Laurie said...

Dang that Miss Bree! What darling pictures!
Hey, I saw that you called yesterday - I'll call you later.
Also, Cameron isn't going to take dance anymore. I'm sorry that I brought it all up and then dropped it.
Lulu's pull-up was my favorite of the day.

Lindz said...

I love the pull-ups or lack of pull up. I can't wait til I get there. The tutu was cute.

Persianlass said...

Martha, I too feel like I know you, even though we havn't met. Your kids are gorgeous, and looking at the photos of your ballerina, brings back many memories of my own dance days.
What a lovely family! To Mums everywhere! Hooorahhhh!

em kawasaki said...

I like the height Norah got in her dance recital. Who says white women can't jump?