Thursday, December 13, 2007

Needs

I am not quite ready to discuss the pregnancy. I am exercising my right to deny (I know you are thinking it's a little late for that, but remember, I have memory issues) until full blown nausea and fatigue set in.
Instead I would like to discuss my needs, or the things I cannot live without (really, I probably could, but I would rather not).




My peppermint Stash herbal tea. In complete defiance of the Word of Wisdom, I enjoy my hot drink. My hot peppermint drink seems to sooth the denied nausea.



My pink grapefruit juice. Since I do abide by the counsel of the Word of Wisdom to avoid pink champagne, I indulge frequently in the next best thing.



My fat. I don't care what the new food pyramid says (sorry for being so hypocritical Traverse Mountain 3rd ward, I know I taught you this summer at enrichment that the new food pyramid is important to follow, but I don't care), I will always put my cheese, cream, and butter first. I love dairy, thank you lactose tolerance gods.



My MAC 'O' lipstick. Although I like other girls in gloss, I hate gloss. It's like fly paper. It's sticky and it attracts everything; my hair, my food, my clothing, my children, strange men...I don't care what's 'in', I love lipstick.



My design magazines. I don't care who's dating who in Hollywood, what the current trend is in jeans, what the latest box office hit is (don't even ask me if I've seen a movie yet, I haven't, I guarantee it), or who is up for a Grammy. I do have one major shallow weakness, the design magazine. I used to tell my mom when I was young that Better Homes & Gardens had called and that they wanted to come photograph the house (I could be a brat). I regret this now, for I now know how hard it is to keep a house looking beautiful with multiple children and a husband (I'm not saying anything about your beautification skills Brad). The point is, I've always loved pretty stuff. It was genetically passed to me by my Grandmother, Norah Bernadine (or Grandma Bernie).



My furnace. This morning, we woke up to a very frigid house. I tried (in vain) to get the heat to kick on. It didn't take long to discover (in 20 some degree weather) that I needed to call an expert. Finally, at noon, our home was once again warm. I'm lucky I don't have to chop wood and haul it into the house and throw it in a large furnace. I have thrown wood in the furnace (Minnesota) before, but that's not the hard part.







My beauties. This morning, as we waited out the cold, we sat in the rays of the eastern sun entering our home to take advantage of it's warmth. Since I was too cold to clean, I took advantage of the moment (Abram was unable to see the bright side of things). I cannot live without my children. They are redeeming. With each new child I experience a rebirth and a new part of me is born.
Slowly, I am working to move past the denial.

12 comments:

just jen said...

i am so sad for you guys...there is nothing worse than suffering in the cold. that happened to us last christmas, it turned out the thermostat was broken.

Kelie said...

you will receive no judgement from me...I too love the cheese, cream, and butter!!! I'm glad your heater is working again too!

Laurie said...

My food pyramid is upside down. I ate Oreos for dinner.
I do want to hear about the lip gloss attracting strange men...that doesn't happen to me. Does it work with money too?

the wrath of khandrea said...

what is life without creamy, solid transfats and a glass of the hard stuff?
your kids are beautiful, and in spite of the way in which it may ravage your sanity, i think you owe it to the world to produce a more attractive populus. keep the gene pool teeming with beauties.

Rochelleht said...

Ah, life is all about expectations. You'll come around and be super excited. Maybe in 9 months, but it will happen! :-) And you know that. I think it's totally ok to live in denial for a while. There are many things in my life that have fallen into that category (for years).

Fordney said...

Ha, ha, ha!! Welcome to HELL!! I am sorry that you are staring all the wonderful parts of being pregnant- Just remember- nothing can last forever. I am just glad that I am over that icky part. Although now I have heartburn, no clothes that fit, fat fingers and toes and bad hair.

Nathan said...

Ahhhh....remember when we had a wood burning stove back in Crosby, Minnesota and we had to haul wood from the wood pile and throw it down the window into the wood room? ....Or did just Andy and I do that? No, I seem to remember Peter and Timmy trying to help out....

Just Kidding!!! You did it too, didn't you?

Also, Martha--Norah is FUNNY! It was good talking to her the other night. Tell her I'll hurry to Grandma's as fast as I can!

em kawasaki said...

I like the comment made by Fordney because I am not one of those people who can float through their pregnancy blissfully expectant. I truly believe that if, by some terrible mistake, I wound up in hell I would find myself two to three months pregnant. Yes, that would be hell. That is why I will be a good girl and try my best to obey the word of wisdom... but I cannot get enough chai tea.

Heather Anna said...

Sarah is right, this will pass, just like the cold from the morning warmed up, you'll get to the next stage of pregnancy . . .isn't that a relief? :-)

The Christensen Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you... And even happier that you have those things to keep you feeling good. I have always thought that you are such a gorgeous pregnant lady -- that means you have to have a million kids. Learn all the lessons and teach me when you have it all figured out! :) You are an incredible mommy - an inspiration to us all... Loves!

Brianne said...

Martha,
I noticed the denial when I saw you in passing at church. :) I really am excited for you!! I won't bring it up again until your memory comes back. :)

Erica said...

Are you slowly coming to terms?? Love your "needs"!