Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Another Dumb Tag Post

I've been tagged by my sister, Cathy. And although this feeds the idea that blogging is narcissistic, I will participate under the guise of family.

A: I am not posting the rules of the game because I don't like rules, and I try very hard not to follow them. And I will not tag anyone because I don't like to pressure people. If by chance you want to be tagged, email me and I will revise this.

10 years ago: I had just gotten out of a long term relationship. I moved into a cool old house on 200 N. 300 E. in Provo with some great friends; we had a blast.



I've posted this picture before, but these are my roommates and me at a Valentines day party we had that year.

I was going on dates with a guy named Ryan. Not the same Ryan as my friend Ryan H. who I would go snowboarding with along with Paul, Danni, Erica, and Cameron. We would try to get work off on Thursdays and head up to Sundance. No one would be there, and it seemed we had the mountain all to ourselves. We would stop in at the Bear Claw and have chips and salsa and hot chocolate. Good times.

Me in my snowboarding days.


About a month ago (ten years ago), I stopped by my parents' neighborhood single adult ward since all of my friends were home for Christmas. I ran into my now husband Brad (who I hadn't seen in months). We sat together in Sunday school and the teacher had asked him to share his testimony on a particular subject. As I listened to him, I thought, "why haven't I ever considered Brad as boyfriend material", and quickly dismissed the thought. Little did I know what 1998 held.

5 things on my to-do list today: 1.Laundry. 2.Finish this post. 3.Make dinner without becoming sick by the sight and smell of it. 4.Take half of our belongings to DI. 5.Go over ABC flashcards with Lulu.

Snacks I enjoy: Raw vegetables, fruit, cream cheese on crackers, juice, and salsa.

What I would do if I were suddenly made a billionaire: Give 10% to the LDS church because that is what you do if you are a good Mormon, right?
Not tell anyone because I have a hard time saying no, and I understand this is the most difficult thing for sudden millionaires. Try to be as productive as possible with it, which means I would have to ask my husband to advise me because he is smart with money, unlike me. By the way, I would only let him know I had like half a billion dollars.

3 of my bad habits: 1. I'm not very organized. My house is fairly clean, but not organized. 2. Letting the mail pile up. I hate mail! 3. Going over on my cell phone minutes, sorry Brad.

5 places I have lived: 1. Traverse City, MI 2. Laconia, New Hampshire 3. Crosby, MN
4. Glace Bay, Nova Scotia 5. Holladay, UT

5 jobs that I have had: Assistant Librarian, Home health care, Day care at Utah State Hospital, Awesome retirement worker and HT at Mesa Vista, and of course my long, notorious career at Danville.

5 Things people don't know about me: 1. I am not a competitive person. Competition makes me uncomfortable. I know some of you are reading this and are thinking I should just pack up and move to Europe because a lack of competitiveness is anti-American, but there you go. I think there is room for everyone to be successful, and if someone wants to compete with me I slowly back away. 2. I used to have to be involved in many things before I had Abram. I felt like I was missing out if I didn't go to play groups and book clubs and cooking groups and so on and so forth. Now, I don't feel that way anymore. I know some of you feel sorry for me for not getting out much, but I really am happy. Personally, I've found a lot of peace in just being still. I do miss my neighborhood sisters sometimes though. 3. I used to do an awesome Axle Rose impression (song and dance) back in high school. Now I only pull it out for my children, because 4, 3, and 1 year olds can truly appreciate the lyrical beauty of Sweet Child of Mine, Patience, and Knocking on Heaven's Door. 4. Some of you know this; I love to garden!

This was our garden in Minnesota.
I love the smell of the earth, watching vegetation grow, and of course, good food. Maybe it's my vegetarian roots, but I am in love with vegetables, especially those I've grown myself. I keep begging Brad to buy me a composter so I can produce my own compost, but I think he is afraid there may be a smell involved with composting. 5. This one isn't so much about me, it's just to cut back on the rampant narcissism. One of the sexiest things about my husband (in my opinion), is the fact that he is very intellectual, intelligent and introspective, but he doesn't have to advertise it. There is nothing that lacks sexiness like pontificating and posturing. This is why I have to beg to differ if someone says they find Tom Cruise sexy.

Don't you feel like you really know me now?

18 comments:

Mrs. Misses said...

Mail is my absolute nemesis! I never know what to do with it. I have tried over and over to come up with a system but have given in to the piles on the counter, the table, the stairs and in the bedroom next to the computer. It takes too long to shred it (and its too dangerous to do it around the kids) and some of it I will need eventually! If I put it away in a file or a drawer, I will forget about it.
That's not the only thing I got out of your post, but its the one that struck a nerve and where I made a connection.
PS I think sexy Brad should secretly tape you doing your Axle Rose and then youtube it so we can all enjoy. :)

Wendy said...

I lived close to your provo house from 93-95--the yellow/putty two story on 300 E. Those old homes were so fun!

I love your statement about being still. Very nice.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Wow! That is some garden. Can I ask you my questions since this year will be my first?
I wonder if I'll want to stay home more if I have a 3rd. Hmmm?

just jen said...

like allison, i also fight with the mail. it's funny to think that just 10 years ago our lives were so different. i ask colin all the time, "what were we doing before we had kids?" it seems like we had endless hours with nothing to do and now i would kill to have just a few of those hours so that i could sleep in...i can't wait until i can sleep in again.
after i wrote that, i realized i will probably miss those late night moments rocking my sick boys back to bed....you can't always get what you want(sing it).

Erica said...

I know much more about you, Martha. You didn't share our times as roommates when we'd darken our bedroom (you, Lana, and I), light a ton of candles, and blast Alanis Morisette songs while we danced around screaming the lyrics. It's so funny to me now! Your list did bring back good memories, though--Mesa Vista, snowboarding...and the pictures were great. You've inspired me to dig through my pictures and find some fun ones of us! Hope you are doing well, sick mama!

Celia Fae said...

Yeah, I do know more about you now. Plus, I really enjoyed enlarging the roommate photo and checking out the fashions.

I hate tag posts too, but I like reading them, so go figure.

Annemarie said...

I, too hate being tagged, but I love it when others are! It's fun to get to know a little more. You did a great job and I loved resding it!

Tate Family said...

I KNOW you called...and it's on my list to do. But "my list" isn't happening...so take no offense. I'll call tomorrow!
Loving you!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm with celia. i love reading people's tag posts, bc they offer a new insight into someone you may not have known too well.
LOVE your garden. i may have been shallow enough to become your friend just in hopes that you would let me pillage it on occasion.
you have great eyebrows. that should be included in there somewhere. although i guess the pictures already say so.

Herrick said...

I do know you better now M. And guess what we have in common ---- My Axel Rose rocks! But my standard is "Paradise City" Oh won't you please take me hoooooooooome!!!!

Rochelleht said...

I love those. It's fun to see old pictures and learn how you guys got together, etc...

gab said...

Cute! I also enjoy Axl...

Lindz said...

Love the post. I'm glad you did the post. I can get to know you better. Believe it or not I have never been snow boarding. I really should try it.

Fordney said...

I love that you would only tell Brad that you had half a billion dollars- I would do the same thing!!
I loved when you lived in that house in Provo. I always felt cool when you let me come and visit.
I think you need to video yourself doing Axel and post it- I for one would LOVE to see it.

Unknown said...

...good use of the verb "to posture" , Martha.

And I had forgotten that you were an Assistant Librarian back at the Jesse F. Hallett Memorial Library back in Crosby, MN....

Speaking of librarians, you should visit my blog now...

Jessica said...

How in the world did you become okay with doing less stuff? I am so over-social and sometimes I can't figure out if I'm happy or not with it.

email me if you have any great insight...

em kawasaki said...

Remember a few entries ago on my blog when I was tagged? I originally had tagged you as well, then I remembered that I have already read a number of tags on your blog and thought you might be tired of it. Nonetheless, I love to read all the random information they provide. Very fascinating.

Am'n2Deep said...

Perfect timing--I got in on a tag post. I can relate to an avoidance for rules; hating to put pressure on anyone; a clean, yet unorganized home; trouble saying "no"; the wonderful smell of the earth, and taste of fresh fruit and vegetables. (Amazing garden, btw!!)

I especially loved your
post "Still".

I know about, how did you put it..."wildly unpopular opinions".

And, congratulations on your baby boy!