Tuesday, February 5, 2008

On Voting



This is the disrespect my 'I Voted' sticker received today.

I am familiar with a number of people (I'm not going to name names) who have a cynical, jaded view of politics in this country and choose not to vote. As much as I can empathize with that point of view, I don't subscribe to it. I know that there are many in the state of Utah who choose not to vote because they feel their vote doesn't count because of Utah's redness, I don't subscribe to this point of view either.

I view the opportunity to vote as a blessing, perhaps even a bit refreshing (or maybe it's just the cooped-up house wife in me). Hey, when you march into an elementary school in Lehi, Utah and ask for a Democratic ballot, the response you receive is much like the response you would receive if you had marched in 9 months pregnant and asked those nice old ladies for a pack of Luckies. But that is not really the point. The point is that we have been given opportunity, an opportunity that many don't have. An opportunity that many people sacrificed greatly for. My voice is counted, regardless of whether or not it is represented in the electoral college. And regardless of whether I am a bit cynical, I am still grateful. I am grateful and humbled by who has come and fought before me. My vote is a thank you and I will always be grateful for the blessings I enjoy today that were denied so many for so long. Thank you, thank you, thank you!



My brother Bob is really the hero of this day. He drove 25 minutes to babysit for 20 minutes so that I could slip out and vote. Thank you Bob!

19 comments:

just jen said...

i voted democrat today too...blame it on my hippie dad from california.

being mormon does not equal being republican.

i wish everybody knew that.

Tate Family said...

I voted too, in case you care...but went republican today.
I could have watched your kids dork!
Still, love you!

Nathan said...

Go Democrats! But more importantly, Go America! Go Vote!!!
Glad you posted these thoughts, Martha! I agree completely...
and yes Bob is a hero...
look at that beard...

The Dobrons said...

My "I voted" sticker got the same treatment by our little Cole :)

Natalie said...

Way to go, Martha! And I would have watched your kids, too. You really should have called me. Plan on me in November!

Natalie said...

Way to go, Martha! And I would have watched your kids, too. You really should have called me. Plan on me in November!

Rochelleht said...

I've missed you!

Good for you! Even if it was democrat. ;-) Although, I will say that I'm not so impressed right now with this lot that calls themselves republican. Pretty much making me ill. It was a very stressful evening for me.

Yea for your brother. Yea for you.

the wrath of khandrea said...

god bless us democrats! i really appreciated your comment about voting as a way of thanking those who've made it possible to do so. my husband came home from iraq about a year and a half ago. we live in a college town, and we hear all the time "who cares who wins" or "my vote doesn't matter" or "politics are so stupid".
someone needs to stick them in an army vehicle and make them drive the streets of iraq for awhile.
thanks for voting.

AMiller said...

So I go to vote and the lady says, "You are unaffiliated with any party, you can't vote Republican" and I was like, "Yeah, I want to vote on the Democratic ticket." She says "Ahhh, okay then." and then the next lady I talk to gives me the same reaction. I thought it was funny. Of course my father thinks I have been corrupted since moving to Utah (who knew this was such a liberal place)?

martha corinna said...

You and I (Amber) must have been the only two at Fox Hallow to ask for a Democratic ballot, it seemed so foreign to them that a pregnant mother holding a one year old could possibly want to go left. They were polite though.
Thank you everyone who offered to watch my kids, but they were sick and so I thought it best to have my brother (who has no children) come watch them.

Wendy said...

Abram looks so grown up in that picture!

I love democratic Mormons.

Erica said...

Good for you for voting! I must say, my family (my parents and siblings) are half republican and half democrat. How does that happen? I'm also grateful to live in a country where we all have a choice and a voice. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out in this election...

Jake said...

Thank you for voting. Good for you! We don't get to vote here for weeks and by then Newsweek will already have told us who won.

Sheri King said...

Being a democrat in Utah County is kind of like being a Mormon in the midwest.
I remember going to vote with you at the school. Tyler was running around while everyone was in the voting booths, and I was chasing him while trying not to look like I was peeking.

mindy said...

I'm starting to think those stickers just taste really good.. it got the same reaction at our house:)

Andy Wright said...

Martha, I feel that in good conscience I have no other choice but to report your left leaning commie tendencies to your Bishop. You know, as well as I do, that you cannot hold a calling and even think about voting for a democrat.

martha corinna said...

Andy, my calling just happens to be a left thinking calling. Perhaps that is why I was called to bring (and arrange for others to bring) meals to those in needs. Democrats just do it better:)

Carina said...

I'm with you, voting is important, no matter what.

However, what's with the disrespect of the voting sticker? My older son asks me, no insists that I remove it every time I vote. This year the baby ate it off my shirt.

And being a Democrat in Utah County rocks.

Heather Anna said...

I voted, even though I was in labor! That's how much my left-leaning husband has influenced me as of late. I was standing outside the polling station on the phone with my ob telling him about how far apart my contractions were and a lady stopped a foot in front of me with her mouth open, laughed and smiled as she shook her head in disbelief and walked away still laughing. It wasn't a "you're crazy" laugh, but a ,"Wow you're kind of crazy, but cool," laugh. That's how I choose to view it anyway.