Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sell Out

Most of you are fortunate enough to only be acquainted with the (somewhat) conventional Martha.
Then there are those of you who have either known me for the duration of your lives and are obligated to love me regardless, or who have been unfortunate enough to gain my trust and love and feel obligated to love me. Either way, you are well acquainted with the Martha with the wildly unpopular opinions.
I do not wish to expose most of these opinions here, I am still working my way into most of your lives and hearts through conventionalism, and I don't believe that my quirks would be seen as endearing.



One of my least (but still somewhat) unpopular opinions is that fast food is of the devil. This is not to say that I have never partaken of the saturated (chemically-treated-deliciousness) fat of a french fry. Nor is it to say that I do not drive to the Iceburg once in a blue moon in order to obtain a Philly cheese steak. In weak moments, like those dances I have with the devil, I cave from the temptation. Also, (like those dances I have with the devil) I always end up feeling unfulfilled and remorseful. I have been pretty diligent about boycotting the big chains, I don't remember the last time I ate at McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's. That is until last night.
I was in full-blown pregnancy mode, just trying to survive with a half smile, lying on the bed at 9 p.m. slightly nauseas, and delirious with fatigue. Suddenly, and without forewarning, the dirty desire overwhelmed my body. My mouth craved it, my stomach sang for it, yea, my very soul demanded a bacon cheese burger. I called to my husband. I told him what I needed. He thought I might be joking. I assured him this was no joke. Like a diligent husband (who has knocked up his wife), he put his boots and coat on and headed to the nearest Wendy's.
There was no stop watch on hand, so I can not tell you if I broke a world record scarfing down those fries and that burger. I do know that there has never been a sweeter meal in recent memory (that is not saying much, my memory is pretty limited).

Other foods I boycott with enthusiasm but which have seemed to become daily requirements:

I have lectured long and hard on the evils of soda pop, but somehow the friendly, flirty bubbles of Sprite and the frothy headiness of Apple beer have worked their way into my heart.



Sugary treats without any nutritional value usually obligate my head to shake in denial. As of late, I routinely roast soft, pillowy marshmallows over my gas range by the half-dozen.



So yes, I've sold out. But only on a few things, and only in the name of keeping my food down. Those of you who know me well can still count on most of my unpopular views. I know they entertain you.

I wonder what this child will look and be like, considering what I feed him/her.

22 comments:

em kawasaki said...

If you are a sell out I may very well be the devil you dance with. While I am an advocate for healthy and nutritious food, I have to say that I feel okay about indulging every now and then. As long as Calvin's eyes still light up like he is being given a fairly rare treat when I hand him his french fries, I know we are okay. Go Martha, stick to your guns no matter how unpopular they may be.

Trish said...

I love it! I dance with the devil WAY too often. Emma saw McDonald's in Walmart the other day and started saying "eat, eat". What have I done? *Disclaimer - I don't eat there. Only my children.* Being married to Jesse has made me a food snob.

just jen said...

while i was pregnant with logan all i did was drink...large amounts of root beer and gatorade lime rain were the only things that would quench my thirst. isn't it funny what you suddenly eat while pregnant. i would never eat anything like an italian sandwich from quiznos before i got pregnant,maybe it was having my husbands genes at work inside me, but ever since that is one of my all time favorite treats.

Fordney said...

Martha- I know all about your wild and crazy unpopular opinions. I love to listen to you and Bobby (most of the time) argue about these things. As I sit here and read your blog (eating some nasty McDonalds nuggets and fries- I am not even sure it's real chicken or POTATOES) I feel absolutley no guilt or remorsefullness. If God didn't want us to eat McDonalds he wouldn't have had someone invent it- :) I know it's the devil- but hell, if that's the worse that I do to my unborn child, I am a pretty awesome Mom, right?
(PS, this is all written with some slight sarcasm)

Lindz said...

I hardly ever drink soda but when I was prego with Lex I drank soooo much of it. The things pregnancy makes you crave.

Mrs. Misses said...

Wendys=heaven on earth.

That's all I have to say about that...

Annemarie said...

I usually find hot dogs to be "of the devil" but when I was pregnant I found myself eating two in one sitting..sick! I also went through the Artic Circle drive thru, again sick, to get lime ricky's on a regular basis. Pregnancy brings out some weird things...

Rochelleht said...

I may agree that they are of the Devil, but that doesn't stop me from partaking on a fairly regular basis. Oh, and soda pop! I think you'd stop being my bloggy friend if you really knew...

Rochelleht said...

PS: I'm currently drinking a Diet Coke. It's 7:30 am. But don't worry, it's the kind with vitamins and minerals, so it's ok.

Sheri King said...

So glad to know you are normal. You don't even want to know the things I eat while pregnant. (let's just say I gain about 50 pounds)

the wrath of khandrea said...

YES! nutrition nazis UNITE! i'm the same woman you are. maybe you can be on my team at the next ward council or PTA meeting, where everyone wants to plan soda and little debbie cakes for activity refreshments.
but since we're confessing, the kids had no school yesterday bc of a snow day. they drove me insane, skip had a late night at work, so i took them to A&W. and i ate FRIED CHEESE CURDS. just saying it makes me gag. except their marketing reps are right... they ARE curiously delicious. grab some next time the devil comes calling.

Laurie said...

Welcome to the dark side!!!!
Wa ha ha!(evil laugh)

Wendy said...

I was thinking about you today--not sure how I missed this post earlier. I love this post. Love it.

The Christensen Family said...

I am addicted to your blog and your lovely commentary on all things Martha. SO happy to hear about your Wendy's fix. You are normal! :) I crave it like I am pregnant, but I am not! What is that about?! Let's do lunch... (I'll even buy you Wendy's!) Loves...

Celia Fae said...

When you serve your family a fauxmade dinner from Wendy's, drop me a line. Then I will be impressed.

Nathan said...

Well, being the master of moderation in all things that I am and not being capable of spontaneously springing new life from my womb ( I don't have one) I simple just don't have any idea what you are talking about!!! And I am ashamed of you and your sell out...
However, Have you ever eaten the food at the Cafe's on Amtrak trains? Not that's when you really need to worry.
love you...

Rynell said...

Hooray for diligent husbands!

Pregnancy definitely brings unprecedented cravings.

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

I can't believe you gave in to your cravings. just kidding of course. I'm not pregnant (hopefully) but I have felt cravings and temptations. They don't appear to come close to mirroring the strength of yours, but I am a weaker individual and have given into them anyway. The best part of it is that I don't feel guilty most of the time.
I too have a strong opinion going against some popular beliefs and that is my opinion of Oprah. I feel she is of the devil. Some may say that good things don't come of the devil and my response to that is she may do good things but I'm skeptical of her motivations. I may be wrong in accusing Oprah of being of the devil, I might change my opinion to her being devil-ish, but I would like to have stronger forces in supporting my opinion of that so this is my invitation to you to join the troops. Your stong opinions are well needed in this area and you have the ability to share those opinions so eloquently. I'll be president and you can be vice president or speaker of the house. nominations are still open for cheif of staff.

sarahlouise said...

You crack me up! I so love reading your blogs. And i'm glad you gave in. Wendy's just does you right sometimes.... there's no getting around it :)

Crystal said...

I feel incrediably guilty of the Diet Dr Pepper I just drank....and Last night Aaron brought me chicken nuggets home from Wendys? Oh Dear, I'm afraid I have sinned;(
I love your blog, never a dull post...Keep it up!!!

Tate Family said...

SELL OUT!!! I support you a 110%, it just happens, for reasons unknown.
Uggh...but enjoy!!!

Jake said...

When I was pregnant with the twins, I could not get enough BBQ potato chips. Something I never eat in real life. I knew one of these babies had to be related to my father-in-law who puts BBQ sauce on everything.

Sure, enough, since they were born...I've never touched a BBQ chip and my Sam looks exactly like my father-in-law!