Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Why I am Smart and Cool:

I am the oldest of eight children(that alone makes me cool, no?). The youngest two came almost 13 years after my birth and are identical twins: Tim and Peter. I rocked them to sleep, changed their diapers, fed them bottles, dressed them, carried them on my hip, pushed them around in a double stroller and was even mistaken for their mother in an elevator at a university hospital (um, no thank you).



Well, Tim was just accepted by Oxford for graduate school and Peter was accepted by University College London (in case you are wondering what UCL is,UCL was ranked fourth in the world in this year's Times Higher Education-QS rankings. No fewer than 21 Nobel prizewinners have come from the UCL community. And I totally copied and pasted that part). And the reason this makes me smart and cool is because I, no doubt, taught them everything they know.

In all seriousness, I am so proud of my brothers and love them. I am just slightly jealous of their cosmopolitan ways, but I am grateful that I now have a cool card to drop whenever I need it.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow! Look at them all grown up. Impressive resumes already!

Jake said...

That is cool. Your mom was smart to put off having twins until she had a capable 13 year old to help. I would have killed for a daughter like you when mine were babies!!

Good luck to the two handsome smarties. You really deserve to be proud.

Wendy said...

Congratulations to both of them! How awesome! I relate to your envy of their cosmopolitan ways. One of my childhood teachers sent me a postcard from Oxford when I was in college saying she thought I would really like it. I do believe I she was right.

Wendy said...

Oh, and of course, you were smart and cool before they were accepted to these schools!

Rochelleht said...

Um, my brothers graduated from college in Idaho. What does that make me?

DON'T ANSWER THAT!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

hmm... my brother gave up pot and coffee recently. i think your cool card trumped mine.

Annie said...

How great!
I totally get this--I bask in the cool glow of my siblings all the time. But don't forget--they owe it all to you and your cool, sisterly ministrations.

Plus, you're terrifically cool and smart yourself, girl.

julie and john said...

Wow! That's amazing! I was just at Oxford last week and couldn't help thinking how amazing it would be to be a student there! What an experience for both!!