Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving '09

The dashboard read 28 degrees. My hands, toes and daughters said it was too cold to run the 4 mile turkey trot in Orem--but I could taste revenge.

For a year now, I've had my brother Tim in my sights. Last year Tim ran the trot in 22 minutes. How dare he. Who does he think he is anyway? Doesn't he know that I am the best runner even though I haven't trained to be the best runner in like...18 years?

So Thanksgiving morning, it was showdown time.

Sure, I had only started running 3 times a week 4 weeks prior to the race, and sure I am female--almost 13 years Tim's senior, and I had just had a huge chunck of flesh carved out of my big toe by the dermatologist, but no little brother of mine is going to show me up.

So the race began with the traditional segregation of the men and women. Don't ask me why. And try as I might, when we merged I could not find Tim. But my dad found me and no matter what I did I could not shake him. I would sprint ahead of a small crowd thinking I ditched him and then I'd see him at my heels again like some lost dog. He was ruining my game.

The above paragraph is a joke dad, I appreciated running with you.




The race ended with my dad at my heels and Tim finishing 10 minutes faster than I. I suppose that's not so bad for only a months worth of work.

But I'm still running Tim, and I'm not stopping...it's only a matter of time.

In other Thanksgiving news:







We partied and took really fuzzy phone photos.



We ate, we laughed, we thanked.








And when it's all said and done, I am grateful. What a good family I have. There are no people I look forward to spending time with more than you--that includes you, Sarah Louise. And you too Tim.

We missed you Nate, Sarah, and Cathy.

9 comments:

sarahlouise said...

Ditto martha. I couldn't ask for a better sister in law. And you still rock in the realm of running in my book :)

Unknown said...

good for you. One month of training is awesome! Are you training on the hills or on a treadmill?

martha corinna said...

On the hills at dawn Anna, with the wild cougars watching.

the wrath of khandrea said...

and how many babies has tim squeezed out? hmmm????

i didn't think so.

Rochelleht said...

Wow. I don't run even with a good toe.

cathy said...

I missed you guys too. Mom just left my house this morning and I'm already missing her. You and your children are very blessed to have both sides so close by (even though the best of the family is out of state).

Anonymous said...

no one does fuzzy phone photos as well as you. I'm doing my t-day post today too--thanks for making me feel like I'm not sooooo late. xoxo, m

Wendy said...

You are braver than I! The pics are fun--glad you had a great day!

Nathan said...

I wish I could have been there--racing and thanking and eating.
I woulda beat Tim..even with my bum knee
Miss and love you Martha.
You look fantastic and so does that pie!