Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Days Gone By



So...on the last day of spring break I had a momentary lapse of reason and took all 4 (very young) children to the zoo by myself.

Judging by the size of the crowd waiting to buy tickets and the mile away parking spot I was granted, I surmised that Good Friday may have not been the best day to visit the elephants.



But we had already driven the distance and I would have some seriously resentful children if we didn't see some spider monkeys.



I don't know how many times I was told (referencing Rosemary) that my son had lost his sock. First, whatever. Like I should retrace my steps at the zoo seeking after the lost sock (I guess it was Good Friday)? Second, whatever. She is wearing pink pants. She is clearly a girl.



Things actually went fairly well; that is if you don't count the 27 times that Abram was tread over by patrons.



We even ate lunch at the zoo. We found a dirty table, shared a Sprite, smeared nacho cheese and pizza sauce all over ourselves, and Norah purchased a contraband hot dog all on her own.



The last half-hour wasn't pretty, but we made it out by the skin of our teeth and our only loss was one sock.



Later that evening we attended our ward talent show. By attended I mean, I sat in the back shoving popcorn into an 8 month old's mouth and recycled spilled root beer float from the seats of metal chairs for my 2 year old while Brad and the girls sang Red Bird. It was pretty adorable. The girls each had a stuffed red bird (non-taxidermied) which they ran around flying while Brad played the guitar.







I did finish my sewing. I also used the left over felt from the bunnies and made the girls some barrettes to go with their dresses.



Norah asks for hair like Lulu's on a regular basis. I just am not that mom; but Saturday I decided to be that mom. We borrowed a triple barrel from a neighbor (thanks Val) and blew out both of the girl's hair and them waved it.





Rosemary isn't wearing her Easter dress because we finally got around to blessing her on Sunday (that and I didn't finish it). She could practically sit on a chair to receive her name and blessing. The dress she did wear is a hand made christening gown my great grandmother made for my grandfather. Both Norah and Lulu wore it, as well as all of my siblings starting with Andy; I believe Nate and I were actually sitting on chairs to receive our blessings, thus making us too big for the christening gown.



I'm the only one in my family who has wanted to use it thus far; but the romance and the sentiment of it create beauty beyond the lace in my mind.

15 comments:

Rochelleht said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I am dying over the cuteness, DYING! The dresses, the bunnies, the hair flowers (of course!) and you look FAB!!! Love the baby blessing dress, too. You are an awesome mom. Love that the girls performed with dad. My dad always made us do that at the ward talent show, too. He'd play his guitar and we'd sing. I hated it, but I was WAY older than your girls and thus way too cool to be singing 'trailers for sale or rent.'

just jen said...

whatever is right.

pink pants clearly indicate she is a girl...plus her beautiful face.

whatever.

Cottonia said...

Correction. You were blessed on a chair (and by someone else since I was too recent a convert) but Nathan was held in a circle. You looked just like LuLu at your blessing.

martha corinna said...

Mom is the one that needs to be corrected; she told me that Nate didn't wear the blessing gown because he sat on a chair.

Anonymous said...

I'm writing to you from the Apple store while my baby gets repaired. Ooh, so much to comment on-- love the dresses, love the hair flowers(you MUST teach me to make them!) and am so proud of you for attempting the zoo(call me next time!). xoxo, m

Wendy said...

Me, too, on call me re: the zoo. I'm itching to go. I'm in love with the felt hair clips and your skirt oh and just everything in this post. Ditto to whatever. You and your family make me smile.

Annemarie said...

You are a good, good mom!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

pink floyd had a momentary lapse of reason as well... but theirs was highly drug-induced. what was your excuse?

diane said...

Your Easter finery is FINE! Good job on the dresses.

I hated when people called my daughter a boy. She had pierced ears at 8 months. I secretly delighted when people thought my boys were girls. I knew it was because they were so pretty.

Looks like it was a very happy Easter.

Insightful Nana said...

The dresses and rabbits turned out darling. Abram looked so handsome in his shirt.

The blessing was wonderful and Rosemary co-operated too. Brad said she just look around at everybody... sticking her tongue out. Wade said he had a hard time not laughing because she was so cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh what we do for our kiddo. Great job taking them to the zoo. You guys all look amazing!!! Those barettes are fabulous and so creative. ((hugs))

Jake said...

Wow. The zoo AND homemade Easter dresses? I need whatever you are taking...

Nathan said...

"....the lace in my mind...." brilliant Martha, brilliant. Everything looks beautiful! I wish i could have gone to the zoo with you guys!!!

Erica said...

I took all my kids to the zoo (by myself) over spring break, too. Other than losing Noah once, it went pretty well :) The cherry blossoms out here are so beautiful this time of year.

LOVE all the picture and LOVE seeing the fun and creative things you are doing. You inspire me!

We fly to SLC July 27th. When we decide more I'll let you know. We have to divide our stay between Kurt's brother's (in Lehi), my parents, and my sister's (Las Vegas), but we also want to spend time with friends. We just need to take the time and figure it all out. I'll let you know! Definitely want to spend some time together!

*Tanyetta* said...

beautiful family and home! there's a lot of love going on up in here :)