Monday, March 16, 2009

Underqualified for the job



Today is Norah's birthday. I was going to write a sweet post about my beautiful daughter, but I just don't have it in me today. I am depleted at the moment. The past few days have been tough and this morning just about did me in.

One of the downsides of having four young children so close together is that you often have to take four young children with you every where you go; such was the case this morning.

I've had so many obligations, church matters, meetings, and stresses that I forgot that Norah would probably want to open a present or two on her actual birthday and not just on the day of her party. So thus starts our drama.

The stage was set for tragedy at Bangerter Crossing this morning. As we entered the store Norah began rehearsing lines for what is sure to be the next made for television drama; complete with fainting, squeals,and mayhem. Lulu disarmed every plastic bag dispenser of its twisty ties and then threw them in a twist tie parade up and down the artisan bread and produce aisles. Grocery shopping is Abram's stimulus to break out in what can only be compared to rabies (I am sorry to say that this is not an exaggeration). The minute he enters the store he begins to scream and flail. All discerning and unbelieving eyes were fixed on me today as Abram shrieked uncontrollably as I made my way around the store.

He wouldn't get in the cart.

He wouldn't get out of the cart.

He held on to the cart with one hand and constantly threw himself on the floor. I am sure to the other store patrons he appeared to be in some sort of phase of torture, and unable to free himself from the grasp of a mad woman with frizzy hair and a horrified grimace.

As I tried to make my way out of the store, we were caught shop lifting basil and a fruit roll up. Apparently, someone had stuffed them in the flower holder part of the cart. Not only am I now known as a child abuser at Harmons but I am also a thief.

This may sound funny, but it's not.

To compound it all, I am exhausted. My husband has been out of town, I've had very little sleep, and I have met up with a particular part of my calling that I don't really care for. I know it is necessary, but I don't like it. Having to confront people (with as much love as possible) about their service, is hard.

And, I miss my friends in the 3rd ward. I know how to make new friends, it's just difficult right now. Being in YW takes me away from the adults and by the time an enrichment activity comes around I've already been out so many evenings that week, I'm just too tired and too guilty to go. So, I'm a little bit lonely as well. I sure miss you girls.

And, I just ruined the cake I made for Norah. So it just goes to show you what feeling sorry for yourself attracts.

18 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, my. You've had a doozie. (Getting caught shoplifting really was the icing on the top...maybe someday you'll laugh about it?) Oy.

Well, my name's Annie so maybe I can get away with saying the sun will come out tomorrow? I hope it does...it sounds like you're due for some pampering.

p.s. let's talk about the confronting issue...I have the same item on my list and I've been postponing it (and, of course, it's not getting better). I'll send you an email later...

Rochelleht said...

OH! I want to laugh, cause that line about rabies was good. But I understand it to totally not funny. I SOOOOO had this day today. It's Spring Break. My husband invited an inactive/nonmember family over for FHE/dinner tonight. I had to go buy food. It was SOOOOO bad. Derick started screaming the second we entered the store. I called Greg and gave him a monumental chewing out.

It was BAD!

So, I understand your pain. Boy, howdy. This just reaffirmed why I bought a house in Utah next to grandparents. I can not go to the store with 4 kids and summer would simply kill me. Or them.

So, here's a big dose of empathy, girl. Although, really your's is much worse. I only had a bad store experience. I'm not the YW Pres.

the wrath of khandrea said...

girl, i don't feel sorry for you in the slightest. i have been in your shopping cart, i have felt your humiliation. and i have learned my lesson. you need to think of yourself and your sanity, and you know it. get a sitter, call a neighbor, call a friend, call a relative, or screw the errand. honestly.

or don't, and keep providing me with hilarious posts in which i laugh at you, not with you.

the wrath of khandrea said...

although i do feel you on the tough calling, no friends thing. and the absent husband. i'll gush all over you on those points of order.

just jen said...

it's days like these that make you grateful that there is a tomorrow...and it can't get any worse, right?

Wendy said...

Oh Martha! Hugs and more hugs. It all sounds horrid. I can just imagine my son's future rabid shopping trip days.

And shoplifting . . . hopefully they were easy on you.

Can I help? With anything? I suppose this makes a Pampered Chef party this coming Saturday morning out of the question, doesn't it? :) Good luck!

diane said...

I wish I could give you a hug and pat your shoulder. I only raised 3 kids and I'm totally tired. You are a good Mom,YW leader and friend. Give yourself a break and a pedicure.

The YW will always consider you a friend.

I'm good at confrontation. I wish I could take care of that for you.

McKenzie Hansen said...

Oh, Martha! I am so sorry for your struggles, but it really makes everyone else feel better knowing we are not the only ones with difficult shopping trips!

McKenzie Hansen said...

By the way, Nora is beautiful! I still picture her as a cute, shy, adorable little 2-year-old who would drop by to play with Sam! The good ol' days!

McKenzie Hansen said...

AND . . . you are too great of a photo/blogger to need lessons on taking pictures from me! AND . . . if you ever have any questions about taking any pictures - seriously just let me know - AND I WOULD LOVE IT!

Jake said...

Martha--I wrote this exact post a few years ago. Shopping with my children=suicide mission.

I am sorry your day was rough. But I am also glad to know you are human. After seeing those birthday party invites/headbands, I was starting to think you had magic power or something.

Please take a St. Patrick's Day nap today.

em kawasaki said...

You can find me at Harmons on Saturday nights around 9:30 after my kids have gone to bed. I refuse to take them grocery shopping after having a very similar experience. Next time you need to go out bring your kids to my house and drop them off. They can run wild here, I have given up on cleaning. Seriously.

AMiller said...

Okay - my sister was logged into my computer in case you were wondering who Adrienne Bee was.

MandJ Condie said...

I totally relate to your grocery experience, and while I cannot speak to LuLu's actions, I can give a little insight into....LITTLE BOYS AND GROCERY STORES.

I am convinced that the grocery is a place that little boys should avoid. In our case, it is, either, Safeway or our newer, "nice" Walmart Superstore. I believe that from the rotisserie ovens at the deli or from the bakery, the stores spread a nerve gas which only affects boys and turns them from your sweet loving child (think Puss in Boots from Shrek, batting his huge doe eyes)into wild animals (or white trash children who seem to have watched way too much WWE Smackdown)

By the time we are back in our drive-way, we have turned into repentent children who would do anything a mother could desire to avoid an hour sitting on their beds.

Hope it gets better for you soon, but, I'm telling you, I think boys like to compete for attention.

Anonymous said...

Oh I want to cry for you! Let's just sit down and bawl together, OK?

But it is a lovely photo of Norah.

I need your address, pronto.

Valarie said...

Martha - I totally feel ya girl! I've been there before and just to tell you - luckily the calling will come to an end and you will get more of your life back. Right now so much of it belongs to those sweet young woman whom the Lord knows needs you at this critical point of their life. You are amazing and I am constantly in awe with you! Hang in there - luckily hard days do come to an end! (Oh, and if I'm the "service giver" you have to talk to...lay it on me - I can take it! :-)
Here's some hope for a brighter day tomorrow!

Brooke said...

i'm sorry.

but the headbands from the last post are so wonderful. will you please tell how to make them?

(and i'll babysit next time you need to go to harmons. i'm not kidding.)

Erica said...

Oh, I feel for you! We've all been there! I've been the one in the store with the screaming kids feeling completely embarrassed because everyone is staring at me!

One time I actually hunted down an old lady when I was at Target because she gave me a look of disgust. I was soooo mad! I actually hunted her down!! Yes, once my kids calmed down, I hunted her down and asked, "Excuse me, but is something wrong?" She was totally taken back and said, "No." I said, "Well, it just seemed like something was wrong because you gave me a look like maybe something was wrong." Well, she squirmed her way out of it, (completely taken back!) but maybe it taught her not to cross a pregnant woman with 4 other kids, 2 of them screaming, and the other 2 fighting with each other at the store!!!!! It was not my finest moment, I might add, but it felt good at the time. :) Moral: taking your frustration out on people around you who are judging you feels good, but isn't always good. :)

You make sure you get enough sleep, even if it's laying down with your kids during the day! Sleep makes the world of difference! If I was there I would help you! You really do have a lot on your plate.

Very funny entry, though--you will laugh at it one day!