Monday, March 23, 2009

The Party

My husband wanted a girl.
"Wanted" may be inappropriate; he "knew" his first born was destined to be a girl. I had hoped for his sake (and our marriage's sake) that the life growing inside of me was indeed, female.
When the 20 week ultrasound confirmed that the child was of the pink persuasion, I breathed a sigh of relief. Little did I know that Norah's sex determined much more than the validity of my marriage union.




Girl(at least the type of girl Norah is)= Drama + Fancy

So, I did my best.
Preparations began weeks before. Norah and I started baking the day before.










We made tissue pom poms.



We set the table with my collection of Limoges and milk glass.





We frosted, clipped, sorted, arranged, and lamented the rotten eggs (raw eggs) in batter.

I lamented the lack of respect that time has had for me (I am always shocked when I see wrinkles etch a skething their way throughout my portraits).


OK, it's better bleached out, I can remain in denial.



There was talk of this and talk of that.



The glow was soft and rosy, as 8 girls and 1 boy sipped raspberry lemonade and dismembered smoked turkey and Gruyere sandwiches.

















The candle was passed and each girl made a wish (there were 8 unbirthdays as well).



Rocky fanfare paved the path for dancing around musical chairs and Bozo's grand prize game (thanks for the music uncle Andy).

Sugar melted the sour. Spice perfumed the swirling pinks and purples. And nice graced the blush and kiss of young femininity.

13 comments:

Annemarie said...

Darling party, darling birthday girl!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I am DYING over here. DYING!! Almost makes me want to go all out again for Grace's birthday in a few weeks, but we'll be handing our money over to the giant rat, instead. I have bookclub that week. Only one big soirée a week in this casa.

Rochelleht said...

Just replied to your coment back @ my place.

Brooke said...

so pretty. the party, the girls, the setting, your LIFE.

the wrath of khandrea said...

so, um, noe's bday is in a week and a half. are you, your house, and your incredible domesticity available?
super. i'll send her over.

diane said...

It all looks lovely.

When my girl had a tea party it was so funny to watch. It began with well mannered girls and ended with the same girls running around the house pulling each others dresses up. Oh well.

Wendy said...

My son is so lucky he's a boy. I don't know if I could do something like this for a daughter! Annemarie stole my response, however--DARLING!

em kawasaki said...

Now THAT is a party! I am still waiting for my headband... I also would not mind one of those sandwiches. We definitely need to find time to get together soon.

just jen said...

what a beautiful party!

i think i will have to throw myself that same sort of party.

because jen=fancy+drama, too.

Anonymous said...

ooh, this is perfect and utterly delicious. I love everything about it!

Hazen5 said...

Now that's a "Girl Party"! She is so lucky.

Jake said...

I totally want to be invited to the next one!

becky said...

okay now that is the cutest party!!! i love everything about it...