Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

My some-what of a good standing in my family has been threatened if I don't post these photos and write a bit of commentary about this event.



I woke at 4:30 on Thanksgiving morning. Rosemary needed to be fed, so I did so and then tried unsuccessfully to fall asleep after returning her to the white eyelet bassinet. Abram started screaming at 5:30, and then Lulu bounded into the room looking for eyes to poke and ears to whisper in.

I gave up on sleep, pulled my hair back and grabbed my sports bra which I layered over my nursing bra, which was layered over my nursing pads (oh, the layers). Armed with Rosemary, my sauconys, and little sleep, I made my way through the rain down to the Orem fitness center to run in a 4 mile race with my family.



I endured 3 pinches to my rear and endless ridicule for being the instigator of this family run, but it was all worth it because I totally won. That's right, I sped past hundreds of participants and totally won, and I was only using one leg, because I am that awesome.



My brother Bob wanted me to include the picture of the blister he had to endure. That's what you get for pinching my behind Bobby.





Later, we met at my parents' home for dinner. There was a bit of segregation. The old and the young do not break bread together.





Peter and Tim (the twins) bar tend because only they will ration the bubbly justly.






This picture is for Nate and Cathy (so typical).







There was a lot of food, a lot of love, and a whole lot of thankfulness.



And by the end of the evening, I was wasted.
The end.

11 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i cannot believe you ran with a lactating chest.

i'm sorry, that's all i came away with on this one. i'm sure there were beautiful pictures and great stories. i just couldn't get over my shock and horror to absorb any of them.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Ha! I'm laughing at the post and then laughing again at Andrea's (not that I even know her) comment.
It was so fun to see pictures of your (almost) big fam. Especially since Sarah won't update ;)

Rochelleht said...

HA HA! I'm loving that last photo. I'm also loving Lulu's skirt and I'm DYING that you would go running on a holiday. Ok, I don't want to go running EVER, so there.

Annemarie said...

You are awesome. So is that last pic!

Nathan said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I am so glad you posted these pics and the account of the day. Clearly I wish I had been there--for the whole day. The race and the booze...
The picture of mom and dad is classic....
I love you and miss you guys so so so much!

diane said...

You look great. Are you sure you didn't adopt that baby?

Fordney said...

Awesome Thanksgiving. I am proud that we ran the whole 4 miles and at about 10 minutes a peice. Thanks for documenting our holiday. Love you.

MandJ Condie said...

Martha, Here is a name from the past. Do you remember Mike and Julie from Rick's College? I thought I should say hi and that you have a beautiful family.

Tate Family said...

I love having your posts back! I need to call you and come by. I'd ask you to, but you are more outnumbered than I am! Hey, pass on the word to Laurie W. to invite me to her blog. Pass her on my email please.
Thanks,
K

just jen said...

you got first place?

were there more people involved than just your family?

if so, then i am doubly impressed.

oh, how i hate to run.

Brooke said...

the family that runs together stays together, i say.

i grew up in a family of runners and sacrilege: often we would miss church to do 10k's around the bay area. and they remain some of the fondest memories i have with my brothers, my sister opting out, waiting with the dog at the finish line, my mom winning her age group, the beach afterward and something greasy to fill us up.

i just love it.