Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Luxury




Last month, I read an article titled "The New Luxury". Considering the state of the economy the author and contributors were discussing their ideas of what they consider luxuries. The subtitle of this feature was titled "it's all about simple pleasures", some of these "simple" pleasures were still far beyond my reach, but it certainly was a catalyst for appreciation.

The days that have passed since reading this article have been considerate. What is luxury? As some of the one-time luxuries I enjoyed are peeled away, is true pleasure revealed?
In search of true bliss, here are a few of my luxuries:




1.Being able to, once again, fit into my skirts and steal a quick {fairly pretty} picture with {most} of my children.



2.Peanut butter cookies with a big glass of milk, which may {eventually} cancel out #1. Seriously.



3.Pretty light. It's warm. It's happy. It's forgiving and flattering. What more can I say?



4.The aid, comfort and service of a presidency. Truly a luxury. This was right after I had Rosemary so please ignore the newly acquired 'luxurious' figure.










5. Sweet babies to: work me, tire me, challenge me, develop me, humble me, try me, and to delight me.





6.Something comfortable to cook and satisfying to eat. When nothing is right and all is too much, there is a moment of atonement in a full stomach.



7.People who really know me, and love me anyway. Isn't that the ultimate luxury?



8.An ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, lips to kiss, and a hand to hold. Do I really need much else?
What about you?

12 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

hellloooo dorothy! i am only disappointed i didn't get the luxury of really getting a close-up of those braids.

martha corinna said...

Brad didn't like that picture of Dorothy and the witch so he made me change it, sorry Andrea.

Rochelleht said...

Dish soap from Anthro. Love the look and the smell.

Best $10 spent.

Cottonia said...

Love you more than ever!

Laurie said...

I love love love your blog. I haven't been reading blogs forever and everytime I check yours I am happy! Everything is so pretty in your life, wardrobe, food etc. Wanna trade??

AMiller said...

A good book and a few hours in the evening to read it.
An afternoon nap.
A pedicure.

queenieweenie said...

perfect

Cecilia said...

Love this post! Beautiful words and beautiful pictures!

just jen said...

my biggest luxury is one i haven't been able to indulge for a few years...being able to sleep in.

i mean really sleep in, like until 11 am.

wouldn't hat be nice?

Nathan said...

Here! Here! Martha Corrinna has done it again.

Beautiful and true--every word.

What happened to Abram's nose?

Also I want some of that Almond Chicken and cilantro stuff...

Mrs. Misses said...

I needed a reminder of this. I did that "only give thanks in all your prayers" thing in November and I really feel even more blessed than I realized before. We truly have so many luxuries in our lives that we often forget or don't acknowledge.

I'm coming over for PB cookies!

Jake said...

You are so good at creating beautiful words to go along with your beautiful photos of a beautiful life. That's luxury!