Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reaping the Rewards

Winter 2005-2006 I envisioned an English garden in my front yard, bursting with perfume and vibrancy. Brad and I also desired to have at our fingertips, fresh vegetables and herbs. We decided, come spring, we would revamp the front yard and build raised vegetable gardens in our back yard. When spring arrived we embarked on our garden adventure, this "adventure" challenged our little family and our backs.
I had become pregnant in February so by April I was in the thick of morning, afternoon, evening and night sickness. Brad was busy as usual at Griffiths & Turner. But we were determined and visions of Lupine and Tomatoes danced in our heads. So with the help of family and a good neighbor we tilled 2 truck loads of compost into our future flower garden and constructed 3 tired railroad tie vegetable beds. Brad built a beautiful, meandering granite stairway while I planted flowers, shrubs and thyme all about. The vegetable beds produced only tomatoes last year so this spring we replaced the soil with the square foot gardening mixture and I made the square foot grid and planted a plethora of herbs and vegetables. Brad also was a good dad and turned one of the beds into a sandbox. Here are the beautiful fruits of our labor and those who enjoy it!



The girls love these garden steps



Lulu




This Lupine shot is for you Jodie. I've been trying to channel Cape Breton Island but the dry desert air interferes.




sandbox




The vegetable beds complete with Marigolds in the 4 corners to keep out pests




thyme abloom



2 comments:

Erica said...

what nice pictures! I love your yard. You've obviously put a lot of work into it--are you sure you want to leave?? Hey, when am I going to start seeing your house being built?

Unknown said...

ummm...don't be suprised to walk out your door one day to find me asleep in your lupins:)