Friday, July 2, 2010

Wishing I were a thousand miles away...



My dad flew off to Traverse City, Michigan yesterday morning. My grandfather is slipping in and out of consciousness and on his last. He is 98, and has been suffering from dementia for a few years now so it is to be expected. But my heart aches to have been on that plane with my father and to have the chance to hug my grandfather and tell him I love him. I would sit on his deck and watch those deep waters while drinking in the pine and earth and feel gratitude for the beautiful youth he provided me and the blessings he made possible.



And I would feel still and loved.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

looks lovely. wish you could go, too.

Wendy said...

Hugs, Martha. Losing grandparents is hard, as is not getting to give that one last hug and I love you. I, too, wish you could go!

Nathan said...

thanks Martha
love you

Anonymous said...

I've missed you.

98 years is a lot of years, but not enough. Never enough.

AMiller said...

A good grandparent is a wonderful thing. Here's to yours!

Kim Allgood said...

So sorry about Grandpa. Grandparents are special. I agree with Michelle- however many years you get, it's never enough.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, Martha! I am sorry you can't go. It is so hard to loose grandpas. Just yesterday, I was in my grandpa's old stopping grounds in the mountains where he had a ranch and I spent my youth. I thought of him all day long. I'll pray for you and yours this weekend.