Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Count Down

The Ogden marathon is on Saturday. And if it wasn't enough that I'm already freaked out by all of the "professional"advice that says no, you cannot train for a marathon and not get hurt without some sort of baseline(I truly was sitting on the couch 6 months ago), my secretary just informed me that the hotel I am staying at the night before the marathon (The Ben Lomond) is haunted.



Now, I'm really not afraid of much. I love snakes, I can catch them and cradle them in my arms. I am Friends with spiders, we happily cohabitate. I've been known to rescue mice from a cat's paw (I am aware that I am a super freak.) And I am fairly assertive and unfortunately, sometimes confrontational.

But I am very afraid of cohabitating with dead people.

Of course I googled the hotel and found out, yes, it is haunted. In fact, ghost hunters regularly check into one of the "haunted" rooms. Great. Just what I need the night before 26.2 miles. Hope they have a mini bar. Just kidding, maybe.

Anyway, it should be a party. Actually I'm excited along with being nervous. I have run 23 miles, and although it was a long way to run, I felt pretty good and was able to finish in under 3 and a half hours. And the course of the marathon is quite pretty.

While training, I usually don't listen to music. It's nice to talk to the girls and enjoy a clear head. But I will probably need some music to get me up the hill at mile 14 and through the finish. So, I've been searching online play lists and have had a startling revelation: I am old. And boring.

So I made an Ogden play list from scratch. Here is a portion in case you too are old, boring and afraid of ghosts.

1. Bold as Love (Jimi Hendrix) The guitar is awesome. Plus, some kid skated to it in the Olympics and it makes me feel like a winner:)

2. Celebrity Skin (Hole) The chorus kicks my butt.

3. December, 1963 (The Four Seasons) Yeah, this is a total grandma song, but it makes me happy. I may need some happy at mile 24.

4. Extreme Ways (Moby) I like to pretend I'm being chased by the CIA, it's crazy fun.

5. Feelin' Satisfied (Boston) The lyrics at the beginning are so so lame, but something about the Chorus makes we want to dance up the hill at mile 14.

6. Funk #49 (Joe Walsh) Just cool.

7. It's My Life (Bon Jovi) I used to hate this song, then my dad made it grow on me.

8. Love Hangover (Diana Ross) Don't be fooled by the beginning, it will make you move.

9. Paradise City (G n'R) I did run during the 80's, it's embedded.

10. Sabotage (beastie boys) It does have a bad word, it isn't bad if no one hears that I hear it right?

11. September (Earth, Wind & Fire) Again, happy and free.

12. Slow Ride (Fool in the City) I don't know, I just like it.

13. Your Love (The Outfield) Super lame message, but it reminds me of running cross-country and track and those were good days.

14. Don't Stop Believin' (Journey) Let's face it, I am that small town girl and I intend to be pressing repeat on this a few times during that last mile. Let's hope it's only once, if you know what I mean.



In other news, Lulu had a school program today and was awesome. She has made so much progress this year. I am so grateful for the resources we have and all the people who help teach her.

11 comments:

Rochelleht said...

You are seriously awesome. I have no desire to run a marathon and am always amazed by those who do.

AMiller said...

Good luck with the marathon! You are amazing! I will have to check out some of the songs that I don't know so well - I am always looking for some good music.

FYI, my fave kick-butt song is "She sell sanctuary" by the Cult. I don't even know what the words are - but the music is kickin'.

Anonymous said...

just take a tylenol PM at 7 p.m.and you'll sleep through all the ghosties.

I'm serious. It calms the nerves and gets you to sleep.

GOOD LUCK!

Kristen said...

Good Luck with the marathon this weekend. You'll do great!

MandJ Condie said...

You need "the distance" by cake.

Mike

Jake said...

Wow. Totally impressed with the playlist, the hotel and the marathon. Wow.

the wrath of khandrea said...

reason number 32 that you are awesome: good taste in music.

reason number 33: you will conquer the supernatural and then run 20 plus miles.

martha corinna said...

The Distance is a great song for a marathon Mike, thanks for reminding me.

Lori said...

Good luck Martha!

Wendy said...

Good luck with the Marathon AND the hotel. :)

I'm fairly brave and I love snakes, but only if somebody else catches it first. You have my respect.

ks said...

I like running to Andrew WK's Party Hard. From what I can understand of the lyrics, its clean. And repetitive... :)

Good Luck!