Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week One

When I said that this week began marathon training which included running 5 times a week and weight lifting, I lied. I knew when I wrote those words that I would be seeing the dermatologist the next morning for a "little" procedure. Upon entering the doctor's office, it became clear that he had actually just stated that I was to have a "procedure" and that I had subconsciously added "little".

So, I have had the skin cancer that isn't a big deal before, but this time it is just shy of melanoma (whatever that means) and had to be cut quite aggressively from my leg.



Pretty eh? Below these top stitches there are a ridiculous amount of small stitches because he cut a pretty good chunk out of my lower leg just to the side of my shin and right above my ankle, in fact, I grew slightly light headed as I watched him stitch for 30 minutes. The skin had to be pulled pretty tight and honestly, now I have an indented leg.

Moral of the story: wear sunscreen.

I think I should be able to wrap my leg tightly and do a long run on Saturday. We'll see.

I promised my sister that I would post (daily?, we'll see) my program and the recipes that I eat. My family generally eats healthy, but we have room for improvement. During my training I'd like to go a little greener as far as adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet. I will not be a 100%er, so don't judge me, but I would like to see where it takes me. Runner nirvana? I'm thin, and I look fine, but I would love a stronger, healthier body. I would love to feel great most of the time and have amazing energy.

This is the problem: I am a food snob, I can't help it. I love to cook, and I do think one can cook really tasty meals that are really healthy, but I just have to try harder.

My other problem is that I really love fat. I love butter, I love cream. So my plan is this: 5 really healthy meals, 1 sort of healthy meal coated in butter (Sunday's are up to someone else so it's really not my call, right?).

I will post what I am eating here (Cathy and Dad) and try to be somewhat accountable,and if by May I look like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2...there you go. But if I look less like Linda and more like Julia Child, it's not because I am eating her butter smothered roasted chicken.

Tuesday I made Ribollita. All the ingredients, with the exception of the pancetta, are healthy and the soup was delicious, of course Lu won't eat it but she is something entirely different.

Wednesday one of my running partners brought me Rigatoni.

And here we are on Thursday, I'll let you know.



I think sweet Rosemary may have contracted rabies from Abram because her temper tantrum at the grocery store this morning was relentless. The checkout lady crossed herself when she saw Rosemary foaming at the mouth.

8 comments:

Kim Allgood said...

Yikes woman! Skin Cancer? Sheesh! You look great-- way to go on the half marathon! I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about what it would feel like to start a race with everyone else. Kudos to you! Take care of yourself!

Wendy said...

Butter from grass fed cows is guilt free, dontchaknow. :)

Glad they caught the cancer. Scary stuff!

I'm still thinking about a nice lemonade party this summer. If only I had my grandma's lemonade recipe and grapefruit-size lemons.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm not gonna lie... the picture is el sicko. i'm more of a words girl than a need-a-photo-for-proof girl when it comes to owies.

get well. and watch out... if it's not rabies, you may want to call an exorcist.

Unknown said...

I am sorry--that stinks big time!

But I am super-pumped to read all of your healthy recipes and eating suggestions. Woot!

cathy said...

Thanks Martha-wow you weren't kidding about the incision! I'm excited to try this recipe-hopefully the rest of the family will like it-I'm sure I will.

Rochelleht said...

WOW! I'm so glad that it isn't melanoma. YET! Be careful!!

Brooke said...

so proud of you, runner girl! and i love food too. and cooking. i figure al1 the exercise balances it out...

right?

right???

no?

Brooke said...

k, but i'm with rochelle. be careful!