Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ambitious

Yesterday I woke with a tightening in my throat, a soreness in my sinuses, and an aching body. Wondering why God hates me, I ran downstairs to start a torturous regimen of self-medication with every plant, animal, and mineral hypothesised to fight a cold. I swallowed whole garlic cloves, olive leaf, copious amounts of zinc and vitamin c, and something that looks like dirt. I am smelling sweet today (sorry to those I have to come in contact with)!

You see, that half-marathon in St. George is Saturday...and I felt so ready and strong until yesterday. I had a plan and a few goals, now I have weak muscles and a throbbing head.

And, the weather is supposed to be icky in St. George, this wouldn't have mattered a few days ago--but now, up those hills, in the rain, in the cold, with a cold (I do not like green eggs and ham)?

So this is my revised ambition for Saturday: I want to finish without peeing my pants. This may be too lofty a goal considering that after 4 kids in five years, I sometimes pee my pants when I sneeze, sometimes, just a little. Fast running may induce the same effect as sneezing, but then again, there may be no fast running considering the state of my muscles, but then again, I am downing the liquids like there is no tomorrow. Maybe the rain will be a good thing.

I will let you know how it goes.

10 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

do they make running shorts with depends linings?

i can't wait to hear how it goes. i'm thrilled that you are doing this. GO GIRL!

Wendy said...

No childbirth, but still have pee issues--not my favorite thing!

Good luck that day on all accounts!

Have you tried cayenne capsules?

Annie said...

Best of luck this weekend-- go you!

Maybe sometimes the running is about what you bring to it and others it's about what it gives you? Maybe this weekend it will give you : a clear head and less sickness and fewer aches. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and your ambitions achieved)

cathy said...

I'm sure your going to do great. There really should be something out there that actually really does cure the cold

Kristen said...

I can completely empathize with the "pee issues". You'll do great!

Brooke said...

go martha!!! i'll be cheering for you in spirit.

Kim Allgood said...

you will do great! Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Run Martha, run!

have a great race! xoxo, m

MandJ Condie said...

hey...try 20,000 IUs of vitamine D(D3) per day....that has kept us pretty healthy through flu/swine flu season ;.) - Jules

Rochelleht said...

You're awesome. I'm just trying to get back on the treadmill. I can't seem to shake all these winter colds/flus, etc. Sucks.

Put in a little panty liner. That should be pretty comfortable! HA