Friday, November 7, 2008

This Is Gospel...



I like food. Not just any food, good food. Call me a snob, tell me I'm hard to please, I am undeterred. Life is short, and I am unsure what the next world promises when speaking of terrestrial sustenance. So for the here and now, I came to get down with the good stuff.
What is just as true, is I love to cook. I love the process, the discovery, the fragrance, the endless possibilities, the anticipation, and of course, the creation.
In cooking healthy, beautiful food, I have found something true and organic. Something more satisfying than just a full stomach. I've found an unadulterated and natural way to communicate safety and love. When I've been filled with gratifying, nutritious food, I am also filled with a feeling of well being and peace. Good food is my Prozac.
Perhaps the days are often chaotic and patience is lost, but in the tranquility of the evening, when the kitchen is warm and the plates are filled, harmony and reconciliation flourish. And by the strength of my wooden spoon, love prevails.

Here is some love I learned from Nigella Lawson. I do love Nigella. I've used this with the extra cherry tomatoes at the end of the season. Nigella refers to them as "sun blushed", I'm not sure if that is the British way of saying sun dried, but these are juicier and a bit more brilliant, I believe.



So you preheat the oven to 450 degrees. You cut the cherry tomatoes in half with the cut side up, place them in a pan, drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and sugar and fresh thyme. You then place them in the heated oven and turn it off and leave them over night.



The next morning they look like this and they taste heavenly. I've used them in pastas, risottos, appetizers, and just as plain candy. I usually place them in a bag and throw them in my fridge to save for when needed.

13 comments:

queenieweenie said...

uh...YUM!

diane said...

I love to eat good food, I just don't like to cook it.

Wendy said...

I'm with diane. I think, had I any special knack for it, I might love it. As it is, I'm sadly mediocre in the kitchen. I'm not sure what I do to recipes, but they don't respond well to me. And I've been trying for years. I really appreciate good cooks and the gift it is!

Nathan said...

You are such a clever and evocative, writer Martha! I want you to cook for me!

AMiller said...

Ohhh - great idea. I have got to try it. My mom is coming down today, maybe she has a big bucket of her last tomatoes for the season. Can we get together and cook sometime? I am totally serious - I am getting better, but I am not a natural and need inspiration.

sarahlouise said...

I completely echo your sentiments Martha. Theres nothing that can compare to a perfectly presented and tasting meal-- other than that of creating it. We need to cook together. I'm so glad you do blogs here and there about food... :)

em kawasaki said...

They are also fantastic in a mini tart shell with a dab of your favorite cheese. That is my favorite way to eat tomatoes, with lots and lots of cheese.

Natalie said...

so keep doing this on your blog and I'll be checking it every day. I really need some good ideas and this looks like a good one. you definitely are talented in the kitchen. when are we going to have fish tacos again.

the wrath of khandrea said...

"and by the strength of the wooden spoon, love prevails."

yeah, i say the same thing to my kids when i'm chasing them around the living room trying to spank them with one.

Fordney said...

Make me some food. I live with the Mac and Cheese and the PB and J. I am just not a awesome as you.

Sheri King said...

These look divine. Too bad I'm the only one in my family who likes tomatoes. Actually, maybe that's a good thing...

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

those look so so good. I would make them if my hubby and son didn't despise tomatoes. By the way, how do you have nice sit down family meals when miss Lu Lu is a picky one. Boston is so picky and I hate making him his seperate plate of dino-nuggets. Do you have to make seperate meals too? I love to cook as well but fear we will never be able to eat the same meal together.

Unknown said...

thanks for finding me! Your blogs are cute, and your house is beautiful.

Those tomatoes look delicious. My problem is I like good food... too much! These would make fun Christmas gifts, unexpected and healthy!