Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Great Escape

I captured a dozen balloons last Saturday.



They fought and squirmed as I forced them into the back of my vehicle.




One, couldn't handle being confined and therefore exploded before I could reach home.




I tied them up, so I could keep them down (balloons are well known for making a break for it).




I turned my attention away from the prisoners so I could focus my attention on being the best mother in the world (that's right, it's a throw down) and make (from scratch) 1 bug cake and 1 red velvet cake.



You see, bugs are held captive in our home as well. Abram, or better known as 'Frankenstein's monster', over zealously stuffs them in pockets, mouths, or in palms, where they sadly meet their maker.






All the while, I heard whisperings of mutiny.



There was a trial by fire, and the verdict was unanimous.




There would be no freedom for the elastic covered helium, only new wardens.



There was a last meal,



carnage,








tales,



suspense,








and great emotion.
The night ended, each going it's separate way, tied now to the wrist of a small oppressor.



When the morning broke, there flew, high above it all, one lone leopard print rebel, ecstatic that it freed itself from tiny sugar-sweetened fingertips, untethered, unbridled, sovereign.


And there it still floats, yet 6 days later, prideful, belligerent, pompous.

It dares me to come after it.

Just wait little balloon, your days are numbered.








Our Christmas pictures are over at Kate's blog.

6 comments:

AMiller said...

I love making cakes from scratch; I just don't think the kids appreciate them. They wonder why I didn't buy a plastic spongebob or Dora to put on top. Don't they understand that a truly good cake is love, not some silly plastic toy?

cathy said...

I do the cakes, especially the bug one! Your a good mom Martha.

Wendy said...

I would love your red velvet cake recipe. Mmmmm...

Oh, and I forgot to comment that I absolutely love your family pictures.

I made a low-sugar birthday cake for ds for the family party, but tomorrow he's getting boxed cake and frosting because I haven't managed my time well. Rats. I do love making them from scratch AND the decorating process. Your cakes looked scrumptious.

Nathan said...

Those kids sure are loved and taken care of!
this was a really thoughtful post Martha...the writing. The balloon imagery...the captive thing...I am considering and will get back to you with a full explication of your prose... =)
I miss you! wish I had been there (or was it only for the Griffiths side? I don't see any Wrights...)
Love you!

just jen said...

i love the balloon pictures...so fun.

and i can't believe you made two cakes...what a good mommy.

diane said...

And now I want a piece of that cake.