Monday, November 17, 2008

The Son and a Peony



Upon giving birth to my first child, my bud of a heart-yet immature and fairly idle, began blossoming with the fullness and detail of a double peony.



The layers of softness multiplied and expanded. The colors and sweetness swelled and heightened.



I naively thought love was full.



When a son was placed in my arms this day, 2 years ago, a richness and vibrancy enhanced the beating of this posy.



Perhaps it is a bout of vanity when seeing enormous brown eyes, fringed generously in black, that I see my own. And like Narcissus, entranced by his reflection, I will meet my doom by mesmerization.



Perhaps it is pretension that leads me to believe that my boy's beauty is angelic and may (perhaps) reflect a bit of goodness upon his mother.



The origin of this flowering is arguable.




But there was a love born of need.



From the pleas and whispers of "momma", to the gentle yet demanding embraces thrown about neck and knees, my son needs me.



And with each onset of drought and chill, I need him.
For with this love my soul is made perennial. And with each smile, my heart becomes evergreen.



Happy Birthday Abram.

10 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

you are amazing. so poetic! i love it. i can't stay awake to read anything these days, so i consider you my dose of fine literature.

Laurie said...

I love all your pictures. It's all so perfect. I miss you! We need a lunch date. (I'll bring the rat poison)

Wendy said...

I really am enjoying your poetic posts and captivating photos.

Oh, and no, your original comment never showed on my blog--so annoying when that happens!

AMiller said...

Wow - wish I could express myself so well. There really is something about sons. Don't know what it is, but there is something different and special. And he does have the most beautiful eyes; I could stare at him for hours. (Okay, that sounds weird, I just think he is adorable.)

Annemarie said...

Sweet tribute for a sweet boy!

Brooke said...

i'm so relieved to have found you again.

your house is amazing. oh my gosh-- it is so beautiful! i looooove it.

just jen said...

thank heaven for little boys!

and you have to tell what that delicious looking dessert is...it looks like better than you know what pie...yum!

Lindz said...

He does need you and you need him. Kids are amazing and enrich our lives. It looks like a fun birthday.

Jake said...

Love peonies. Love little boys in costume. Love the photography and words. Love it all!

Nathan said...

Beautiful Martha as always. I love being able to read what your writing. It really is some of the most heartfelt and imagistic language I've read. It probably helps that I know you so well. But I am moved and impressed every time. It makes me feel close to you.

Abram is so old! Wow! The pictures of him in his AMinal costumes are priceless!