Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Still Pregnant



The above picture was taken by my brilliant sister in-law, Kate Benson. If you want to see the rest of them, go here.

I have had the desire to be a better blogger, but it has just not been in the stars this summer. Maybe if I do some explaining you will forgive me and better understand.
This summer has been pretty intense, not necessarily bad, just intense.

First, we moved to our new home. A move, in and of itself, is a lot of work, but I have also been pregnant, which translates to "I move at a sloth-like pace". We also have our old house to upkeep which has a high maintenance yard and a vegetable garden. But the move has been good and in many ways has made my life more manageable, so, I am grateful.



Some of you know that for the last year, we have been in the process of trying to get help for our daughter Lulu. We've had many appointments and evaluations, some very helpful and others not so much. In June she was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which is an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Since the diagnosis it's been a whirlwind of "what do we do now?". So there are more appointments and such. It's been very overwhelming, but I've really felt our Savior's love and know that this is what makes life sweet and rich. I remember sitting quietly breastfeeding her in a dark room when she was a baby and having a foreboding feeling about her future. At the time, I thought these impressions were just post pregnancy hormones, but now, as I look back, I realize that the Lord is aware and mindful of all our needs.
Thank you to everyone who has listened and been supportive.

When I was sixteen weeks pregnant, my AFP came back abnormal. I haven't been that worried, there were no markers for Downs Syndrome found on my level II ultrasound. But when I hit 34 weeks I was informed that an abnormal AFP also puts me at high risk for placenta failure, so I have had to go to St. Mark's for weekly testing on top of my weekly doctor's appointments. When I was first informed of this, I wanted to ask, "Do you know how much gas is?". Anyway, I am fine, the baby is fine. It is just a lot.

Speaking of pregnancy, I was due last Friday. Good times. I thought perhaps I was leaking amniotic fluid around 37 weeks, but soon realized, nope, I just peed my pants. Ah, the end of pregnancy, did I pee my pants or not pee my pants, that is the question.
Anyway, I will keep you updated.

Even though it has been busy (and is about to become even crazier busy, and I'm not talking about the baby, more on that next week), I have completed a few projects.



The girls started a summer preschool in June. If you are a faithful reader, you will maybe remember that I made Norah a backpack for preschool. I have promised myself that I would not be one of those moms that start off at full force but then peter out by the 3rd child (I really am one of those moms, but let me pretend I'm not). Anyway, so I made Lulu her own backpack.



Now don't go crazy over it, up close and personal it's not so professional. Lulu loves it and it made me feel like a decent mom, so that is what is important.

I haven't had the time to do much decorating in our new home. I did have the idea, not long ago, that I wanted a couple of brightly colored chairs to pull out or put at the end of the table, just something to mix it up a bit.

I was looking through an Anthropologie catalog and saw this chair and set out to find it. Lucky for me, the first place I looked was a jack pot. The old Star Mill in American Fork had 2 of them. They were old beechwood and were covered with cobwebs but still, I felt lucky. I went to home depot and purchased bright yellow spray paint (because I am very tired) and ...



I love them.



Oh, I also found the gold mirror there.

I will let you know about the baby and the other thing I cannot say now.

Also, good news, we are finally about to set up our office at our new home so I am very excited to finally get to read and comment on all of your blogs again. Thank you so much for being my friends and for all your support and encouragement. I have really missed you.

19 comments:

Annemarie said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a busy Summer...good luck with everything up & coming!

Carina said...

I'm sorry you are still pregnant. Boo!

Shayleen Lunt said...

Whoa! You are one busy chick! Can you come and decorate my home? I love your look! Best of luck with everything and especially childbirth

Rochelleht said...

So sad to hear you are still preggers. I totally thought you would have had that baby weeks ago. i wasn't remembering exact dates, so I just assumed that's why you hadn't posted. I'm glad to hear from you again. I'll be happy when you get your office set up and can check in more often. Good luck with the babe.

Kelie said...

I have been missing your updates and I love your beautiful pregnancy photos! What an eventful few months you have had. Good luck with the new baby and testing for Lulu. We are thinking of you!

ks said...

I've been following your bloggy for a while now... I figured you were already in the throes of newborn sleep deprivation survival mode. Ah, well, it can't be too much longer, can it? Well, good luck to you in case you're unable to update prior to childbirth. In regards to Lulu... these kids (PDD NOS) are AMAZING. You clearly are also an amazing person as well, since you're her chosen mother. Its all part of the plan. So, try to rest easy for now... things will come together soon. hugs.

cathy said...

Good luck Martha with everything-I miss, love and wish I was closer to you. Your house (of course) is beautiful.

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Martha,

I don't even know if you know who I am. I used to be your "neighbor" and I peak at your blog once in a while after going to JR and Keli's sight. When I read about Lulu it sent chills down my spine. My sweet Boston was diagnosed with PDD-NOS a couple weeks ago and I have felt so alone in this complex disorder. I'm also pregnant and I couldn't believe that someone else was going through this too when I read your post. She is so beautiful and I know you can read so much negative out there but I have so much faith in our children. I want to do everything in my power to help my sweet boy and I'm sure you feel the same about Lulu. I would LOVE to talk to you. Feel free to e-mail me at jtandcarly@yahoo.com and I'll give you my number from there if you want to chat.
- Carly Young

Kelly Jo said...

Hi Martha, I'm Nathan's friend from many moons ago and I lurk on over at times to your blog to check out your beautifulness. I'm a therapist and have worked/work with many children with PDD, NOS and I say BRAVO to you for getting testing done early! The earlier you get help the better! It sounds like your on the right track and there are many wonderful helps out there to move forward with. ADVOCATE, ADVOCATE, ADVOCATE, that will be a major role of yours, especially when she's in school. For some reason, i think you'll be quite good at that! :)
Good luck!

sarahlouise said...

Martha I do so love reading your blog... and your prgnant pictures are beautiful. Good job on the chairs, I remember looking at them when I was babysitting for you yesterday and thinking how much I liked them.

Jake said...

You look great and so does your home! Good luck with your daughter...the autism diagnosis is a bumpy ride, I know...but there is a lot of great help available these days!

The Christensen Family said...

Um WOW! I am so sad to have been drowning in my own drama and chaos and not being a better friend to you. Got your text. Just love you. Praying you will be delivering in the NEAR future - I can't imagine! And happy to have a path for Lu - she is beautiful and special and I can't get enough of her. Last, but not least for sure -- your home is looking gorgeous - can't wait to see it in person. Love you M! Steph

The Christensen Family said...

ps. you are a pregnant super model. stop making me look so enormous! ugh...

Not quite Utards said...

Martha, can I just say, you are stunning. STUNNING! I've never seen anyone work a camera like you. Yowza! You look fantastic and I'm sending "non pee" related water breaking vibes your way! Good luck!

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

You are beautiful!!! and not just the pictures. Your writing is beautiful as well. So is the fact that you are a wonderful mother. I enjoyed reading your blog and that was very sneaky of you to add what you can't tell anyone at the end. So what is it?

Laurie said...

I keep thinking that I should call you but I get scared that I'll call and you'll be at the hospital in heavy labor and think I'm a big dork. I am totally thinking about you and can't wait to hear that you've finally had your baby!! Love you!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i don't mean to sound like a sicko, or a classless piece of white trash, but you are so freakin hot.
seriously. tres tres sexy.

Samantha said...

Martha,
Your home is wonderful, your children are precious and you look amazing. I am glad to see what a great life you have been blessed with
Samantha

Anonymous said...

You have such amazing taste girl! That backpack is so darling. I've pettered out on the 3rd kiddo and I don't really have an excuse for it. ;) Glad your blogging again. I'm finally reading blogs again. I hate it when life gets in the way.