Thursday, March 13, 2008

To My Sisters



Last night we celebrated the anniversary of the birth of the Relief Society. I was asked to share the feelings I have about the organization with the sisters of my ward (congregation). I decided to post what I had written because my story is not unique; I'm sure thousands of women have had similar experiences. I also want to publicly thank the good women who surround me. I love you and I will miss you.

There was a time when I certainly did not appreciate being a member of the Relief Society; I was unable to comprehend it's value. I disliked the old Relief Society manual and felt injustice in the fact that as a woman, I needed to be taught lessons on 'gardening in small places' while the brethren studied the doctrine of the scriptures. I was young and naive, and maybe had a slight feminist streak. I felt the 'domestic' lessons trivialized who I was.
I need to add that at this time, I was unmarried, didn't have children (good for me, seeing as I was not married), felt very little inclination toward domestic duties, and did not yet have my own garden to attend to. I also had never received a calling in Relief Society; I had always served in Sunday school teaching different classes or had been blessed to serve with the young women. Then I moved to Traverse Mountain.



A few months prior to moving here, I gave birth to my first child and had decided to stay home to be her mother. All of my college friends had moved away by this time and my work friends were still working. I had to rediscover who I was as a woman and as a mother. New motherhood was a little confusing, and I found myself feeling isolated. Not too many months after moving to Traverse Mountain, I gave birth to my second child. After Lulu was born, I experienced a rather difficult battle with postpartum depression. As some of you know, postpartum depression intensifies the feeling of isolation accompanied by feelings of shame and worthlessness. After a few months of struggling, I decided that one of the ways I could help myself was to seek the companionship and support of the woman around me. By throwing myself into my callings I offered the women in my ward my love and my services and their support was returned 10 fold.



During this time I gave birth to my third child, Abram. I had a difficult delivery and recovery. Although neither Brad nor I solicited any extra help, the sisters of this ward with whom I have been blessed, supplied me with an endless amount of food and love. We weren't necessarily in need of food, it was the love that accompanied the food that made the difference. There were numerous visits and phone calls. There were consistent offers to take my older children. Instead of isolation and depression I felt a constant outpouring of love and support. Instead of shame and worthlessness, I felt joyful and blessed. I was constantly reminded of the Lord's love for me because these women brought it with them to my home.




Relief Society no longer seems frivolous. It has been a number of years since I have felt that the organization trivializes woman; it is quite the opposite. The love of the women of Relief Society and the opportunity to reciprocate and initiate that love empowers me. I am empowered with the knowledge that I am in the service of my Savior when I serve those around me. In the sisterhood of Relief Society I have found the knowledge and power to be a better sister, a better wife, a better mother, and a better daughter of my Father in heaven. I am so grateful for the love and the service of the Relief Society and for the opportunity to serve. I am so grateful for my sisters and I love you, thank you for helping me understand my divine worth.



P.S. I now have a garden and would love to hear more lessons on gardening in small places.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Misses said...

DON'T CLICK ON SHAKADAL'S COMMENT!!

It is a very questionable link. I clicked on it and started scanning my computer saying I had a "virus" and would cause my "PC" to run erratically. I don't have a PC. Not sure what that is about but I would be very cautious unless you know this shakadal person.

But Martha, I was going to say that it takes a strong woman to go through what you have and come out being so optimistic and grounded and driven and thank you for being such a great example!

martha corinna said...

I erased that web link mrs.
Thanks for alerting me to it.
And of course, thank you for your kind words.

diane said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with post-partem depression. I too suffered from this and think women are afraid to talk about it. My sisters live far away so I rely on my RS sisters.

Wendy said...

I keep starting comments and keep getting interrupted . . .

I enjoyed reading this, Martha (as usual). RS can be such a blessing. I'm glad the women in your ward were there for you.

Rochelleht said...

I loved that! It's so true. Relief Society rocks and its amazing how much service is rendered within its structure. Thanks for posting that. I have our party this week that I'm in charge of. It's nice to feel the boost of the spirit going in.

Kelie said...

It was in Traverse Mountain where I too began to love and appreciate Relief Society, especially the women. Thank you for sharing your story, you are such an amazing woman and mother and are a great example to me!

the wrath of khandrea said...

isn't it strange how some places you go, it just doesn't click, and other places, it's a perfect fit? do you suppose that's more the dynamics of the group or your own personal state of mind?
i'm glad you're in a "clicking" place.

Laurie said...

I still can't get over the fact that you're leaving. You are a gem! And yes, I'll go with you to the dinner thing. Just to spend time.
I will always remember that time that I went off to you at the park about everything. You were so nice to sit there and listen when you didn't even know me. Thanks for being a great friend.

Cecilia said...

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiene with RS. I work with the YW now and I love them, but I miss RS a lot, specially the sunday lessons.Thanks for being a good example!!!

Lindz said...

Relief Society is amazing. When I lived in Las vegas I had to lean on my sisters in the ward for support and love. It is amazing the unconditional love they have and support they can be in times of need.

just jen said...

i love relief society, and i miss it so much. being in the primary for over a year now has really made me appreciate it that much more.

i don't know what i would have done without the relief society in so many instances in my life and i am so grateful for it.

what a great message, thanks martha.

Insightful Nana said...

Many years ago... and I mean many, I resented having to pack up my two young boys and haul them off to RS. I was trying to be obedient. (Those were the days of Tuesday morning meetings.. RS nurseries Opps... I'm showing my age.)

I would tell the devil "You have stay outside while I go into to this old lady meeting.. but I'll be back."

One afternoon I was standing in the RS kitchen helping to prepare a luncheon when I told another sister... "I will never work in the RS... It's an old lady organization." "Mutual is the way to go."

Two weeks later I was called to the RS organization and I have served in it for over 30 years... (except for about 2 years when I taught Sunday School)

It has become a true sisterhood to me. When I feel "down and out" I sit and meditate in RS. Just feeling the spirit of sisters who are on the same journey and have some of the same problems I do... lifts my inner soul.

Like Wendy said... RS can be such a blessing! I have found it to be the case over and over again.

mindy said...

I'm so sad that you're leaving.
That being said, since moving is a necessary evil.. I'm glad you won't be too far away:) I'm definitely going to miss you.

Celia Fae said...

So. I had to close up your pictures just to see what your women looked like and lo and behold, the woman in the green striped shirt in the left corner of the first picture used to be in my current ward. Sherrie. Small world, huh?

I also have strong feelings about RS and I am glad you shared yours. It's not so bad to be a grownup, I guess.

The Christensen Family said...

Martha, I just love you. I appreciate your thoughts more than you know. And I REALLY appreciate that I can count on you to express your perfect thoughts whenever I need you! I am lucky to call you my friend and feel so blessed to learn from you... Loves...

AMiller said...

I am so bummed that you will be moving. It is kinda weird, but you were one of the very first people I felt like I wanted to get to know when I moved in. I just love all the sisters here; I don't want anyone to move.

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful! I've felt the same way and certainly have an appreciation for the RS. It's great to hear your thoughts and experiences.