Thursday, March 20, 2008

5 Years







Highly anticipated and long overdue, Norah's birth took place 5 years ago earlier this week.
It's hard to forget those 2 rainy days. After 2 reassuring and gentle midwives labored with me for hours and hours and hours, one brave midwife (backed by my husband, mother, sister, mother in-law, and sister in-law) coached me through 3.5 hours of pushing, to no avail. Finally, one OB, armed with a pair of forceps, swooped in to rescue poor Norah from further damage than one giant sized hematoma. He also (thankfully) saved my life.
My first born arrived chunky, bruised, and initially, with only inward beauty. In fact, my highly tactful brother called her a troll. Luckily, Norah has blossomed into an outward beauty as well.

The blueberry pancakes we had the morning of Norah's birthday are a treat we only indulge in a few times a year.


You beat egg whites separately until stiff and gently fold them in at the end resulting in very light and fluffy cakes.



Grandma threw Norah a little birthday party at her home, complete with a sleeping beauty cake.






As a show of her new found wisdom that 5 years brings, Norah chopped the very front of her hair to the root. When I asked her why she did this, she replied, "I wanted to be beautiful like you momma". Hmmm....

Thank you for making me a mother Norah; for making me more than just Martha. Thank you for constantly pushing past the limitations I believed existed. Thank you for awakening in me, untapped, unknown, and unconditional love.

19 comments:

Wendy said...

I love "thank you for making me . . . more than just Martha."

Isn't it beautiful to be more?

the wrath of khandrea said...

i SO love that we're having blueberry pancakes for the birthday breakfast!! my FAVORITE!
march 30th, girl.

oh, wait, this post is about norah, not me.
it's so difficult to set the celebratory narcissim aside for a moment.
i do like the bday haircut though. she's priceless! great pics too!

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

Happy Birthday Norah. You're such a great mom Martha.

gab said...

Didn't you post about cutting your own hair? Must run in the family.

This was beautiful. She will read it over and over and over.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Martha - She really is a beautiful girl!! I was just looking at her long, pretty hair and thinking how my daughter would have a crying fit every morning if she had hair that long and if I ever tried to brush it.
I also love Lulu's face as Norah is blowing out her candles. What a good little sister for containing her own blow.
Very sweet post!

The Dobrons said...

What the....she is soo old! I remember when you used to bring her with you to come visiting teaching! Has time gone by that rapidly? She's beautiful like her mommy!

Annemarie said...

She is such a cute girl! Love the bang trim...

Insightful Nana said...

Thank you Martha... for putting your life on the line to bring beautiful Norah into the world. It was one scary event.

When I turned around and saw all that blood.... oh my goodness... all I could do is wring my hands and pray.

And... do I ever love that little girl. She is so smart... and so aware. A handful but such a joy. Don't you just love her smile. "She makes my heart happy."

Rochelleht said...

Beautiful! We have a 5th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, too. It's amazing how fast it goes.

Herrick said...

I have a daughter turning five in two weeks two. Is the whole world turning 5. I wish I was turning five.....so simple......and full of wonder and joy.
Martha, I want you pancake recipe.....now.

Sheri King said...

Happy Birthday Norah. She will always be remembered as Tyler's first friend!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday beautiful Norah! The pancakes look delish!

just jen said...

fun, fun, fun...

connor turns five this june...there are a lot of five year olds this year.

were you mad when she cut her beautiful hair? i would have been very upset, you probably handled it better than i would have.

happy, happy birthday norah dear!

Laurie said...

She knows what's in style! Love the bangs Norah!

Lindz said...

I love Birthdays!! There are just too many in March in my family! I guess by the end of the month I get all birthdayed out!
MMM, those blueberry pancakes look superb!!

Anonymous said...

What a beatiful tribute. She's adorable.

em kawasaki said...

With or without the haircut she is definitely beautiful like her mother.

The Christensen Family said...

Can we have blueberry pancakes for my birthday too? They look amazing - I MUST have the recipe... Darling tribute to sweet Norah. The oldest is something special - the unfortunate guinea pig - but nonetheless so special. She is beautiful like her momma... (Not sure where she was going with the hair thing. Ha!) Love you M!

jbradley said...

I thought she was beautiful from the get go, big bump on her head and all. If I ever find out which of your brothers called her a troll, there's gonna be trouble.

I love you Norah.
bg