Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Three First Days



Lulu ended the summer Monday. I placed the uniform on her piece by piece. As the layers grew, she excitedly flapped her arms like a nestling. A deep rolling "Challenger School" escaped her unrestrained smile again and again. She will be fine. School suits her. It's possible that her teacher loves her. And teaches her Spanish. It's only a few hours after all.



Abram started Tuesday. He has been asking if "school is today" all summer. On Monday, at dinner, his large brown eyes fringed with drooping black lashes locked on me. I recognize those eyes. There is a long line of them in variations. Who had them 300 years ago? Were they able to look as sad as Abrams? Will they exist 200 years from now on another little boy? They will be unattributable to what is now and what has passed.
He looks at me and asks, mom will you watch me at school, I'm scared. He seems younger than my others. He probably is-a little lost in the shuffle.
You cannot wet your pants at school, I say. He nods his head, again the big brown eyes. I pick him up, smiling. He says he played games. He sits in his car seat. I get him out and he's wet. I waited until after school he says.



Norah began on Wednesday at a brand-new-directly-across-the-street-already-overcrowded elementary school. We leave the front door and walk down the street.



We all walk together. Somehow the dog has followed. I feel a bit melancholy. Norah isn't so little. She has legitimate fears and time moves quickly without time to appreciate it's passing. I wonder how I got here, at this cross-walk in suburbia. Did I make these choices? I vaguely remember bits.



Norah reminds me. As she changes I change. As her body becomes stronger and more able mine becomes weaker and more tired. She walks in and I turn to face the hill back. I find my son's lost hand and it's like a Carly Simon or Joni Mitchell song. The baby climbs up my hip and the dog barely escapes the wheel of a tractor trailer. I washed my hands of that dog years ago. There are no clouds yet it feels a little unclear. We leave our shoes on the front porch and I sweep the kitchen floor.

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Beautiful. The kids look so cute. I love Norah's outfit. I love that Abram 'waited'. Too funny! Sometimes, I sing that song to myself, "This is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful wife."

Of course, I don't have a wife, but you get the general gist...

Kristen said...

I had a different experience sending my kids off to school. I truly wanted to pull out the pom poms and do a few cheers. This was today, yesterday was different, my Kinsie started Jr. High, my stomach was tied in knots all day.

Kim Allgood said...

I felt this way, I have a hard time with back-to-school day.

Ah Joni Mitchell, that is just how I felt. I wanted to come home and play her CD and cry but thought that would be a little to indulgent.

Let's get together for lunch!

Anonymous said...

you made me cry.

I'll be down in Utah County a LOT this fall. Let's meet up.

xoxo, m

Unknown said...

oh I love how Abram waited until after school. That is actually quite precious.

The school looks amazing. It has obviously been a while since I've visited the Mountain. Back to school!

Valarie said...

Martha I genuinely love your imagery! I can always count on your blog when my mind needs something beautiful and poetic!

Crystal said...

Martha, i miss your blog haven't looked for awhile but i allways love your thoughts. You are so good at putting into words all mothers thoughts and fears. And your yard is looking beautiful. . .so envious seeing how i have no yard to speak of in our new house. . .i know in time..in time

Jake said...

That was beautiful and melancholy. Love the kids' outfits.