Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A little nostalgia goes a long way

Ten of us piled into a battered three-tone Beauville full-sized van as we embarked on a trek west, or east, or south (for that matter). The trip would be smelly, there would be wet pants, hair pulling, threats, yelling and an astronomical amount of dirty looks, but time was spent together and these times are remembered with fondness and laughter.

Whether it was Mt. Rushmore, Lake Superior, or Zions, I am grateful for the family road trip.



Have you been watching The National Parks: America's Best Idea on PBS? Incredible.



Suburbia can get you down, I often feel a real disconnect when surrounded by artifice. We've been trying to regroup our natural bearings once a week as we go on hikes and wander through trails.







My best memories with my family have been in natural settings, where stillness and gratitude were easily felt, and where God's beauty whispered it's truths to me and I felt whole.

So here is my plan: buy a map, stake out national parks we would like to visit, learn about the history and treasures of that park, then drive to the park fighting, wetting, and screaming all the way. Hopefully the awe and wonder of our visits out weigh the threats and the yelling that will surely ensue. And hopefully the nostalgia for alfresco family time will lend it's legacy to my children.

7 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

hmm. come see me. we live in the middle of god's country, i swear. it is so beautiful here. plus, i don't mind if your kids scream, because maybe it will drown out the whining and bickering of my own.

Kristen said...

A friend of mine just spent like 2 months this summer going to National Parks. They live outside of Chicago and they drove to California and back hitting tons of National Parks. Her husband got offered a sabbatical and jumped at the chance. If you want to read about the National Parks they visited, you can get to her blog from mine. Click on Redefine Cloud Nine.

Kim Allgood said...

sounds like bliss. We should do a caravan with screaming, peeing, pulling hair out road trip next summer.

Rochelleht said...

I so get the getting tired of suburbia. That's why we do Utah every summer. I love Texas, but I really miss the easy access to nature.

But I also really like the easy access to Anthro. What are ya gonna do?

AMiller said...

Two words. Bear Lake.
I know, it isn't a National Park, but if you get out of the little resort towns and into the little farming towns; it is truly a slice of heaven. Try to find Bloomington Lake (call if you need directions) - some of my very best memories. Beauty, peace, wildlife, lakes, small hikes, gorgeous scenery, and huckleberries (if you go in late summer).

Wendy said...

Wonderful. My sil's family (the one you met) has done variations on this for years, whatever the ages of her kids. They love it. We hope to do the same. Good luck!

sarahlouise said...

what a great idea! i will look forward to all the pics :) Maybe andy and i could tag along to one of your 'destinations'